Complementing the firm's global Energy Practice, the Oil & Gas Transactions Practice offers deep expertise in deals ranging from common acquisitions and divestitures to cutting edge international exploration and production ventures.
The lawyers, steeped in the culture and business of the industry, leverage the firm's tradition of deal-making excellence to close nearly any type of oil and gas deal. Many of the lawyers on the team began their careers on the business side of the oil and gas industry, and are able to serve clients with an intimate understanding of their commercial needs. The expanding practice includes Chambers-ranked practitioners in Houston who have earned their reputation as "dirt lawyers," each handling billions of dollars in deals in a single year.
Dynamic, Informed and Forward-looking
The Oil & Gas Transactions Practice handles oil and gas exploration, development, and production projects in the United States and throughout the world. Latham's portfolio of expertise includes:
- Conventional, deep-water and unconventional resource exploration, production, and development projects
- Energy infrastructure projects (pipelines, gathering systems, platforms, and floating production systems)
- Acquisition, divestiture, and financing of exploration and production assets and midstream infrastructure, at both the asset and corporate level
- Energy-based financings, including reserve-based lending and project finance
- Production payment (VPP and otherwise), net profits interests and royalty trust transactions
- Upstream, transportation, gas sales, plant operation and offtake segments, as well as financing, of LNG projects
Advising clients at all stages of oil and gas projects, Latham works with, and opposite, governments (including national oil companies and agencies), industry participants and partners, project sponsors, operators, contractors, suppliers, lenders and insurers, among others, to structure, negotiate, and document complex, challenging and novel oil and gas exploration, development, and production projects.