Kelly Cataldo recognized as one of New York’s top young lawyers for groundbreaking legal work.
Latham’s top-ranked renewable energy practice combines deep experience working at the forefront of the world’s power markets with a sophisticated understanding of renewable technologies and the legal, commercial, and regulatory dynamics driving the industry.
We advise a broad mix of leading project sponsors, financial institutions, investment funds, and developers on many of the most innovative and transformative transactions in the renewables industry. We advise clients in virtually all of the world’s major energy centers, including in Europe, North America, and Latin America. The firm also actively advises clients on recent trends and emerging related business opportunities involving fuel cells and energy storage, as well as offshore wind and hydrogen projects.
Latham’s multidisciplinary renewable energy teams routinely advise on:
- Project development and financing matters, including credit facilities, private placements, and innovative forms of mezzanine debt and equity structures
- Joint venture arrangements for all forms of development, financing, and capital market activities
- Power trading and selling arrangements, ranging from offtakes with utilities, corporates and community choice aggregators (CCAs) using contracts for differences, proxy swaps, and other hedges
- Tax equity financings and other novel forms of tax benefit monetization transactions, leveraging our experience pioneering many of the leading tax equity structures now commonly found in the market
- Investments and transactions involving renewable energy companies and funds, including the:
- Formation, structuring, and negotiation of private and public investment vehicles and co-investment opportunities focused on renewable energy assets and businesses
- Purchase, sale, and spin-offs of project assets, platform companies, and majority and minority shares
- Environmental compliance, permitting, development, and litigation
Latham brings unique experience advising on complex renewable energy-related matters since the 1980s, including on many of the industry’s most innovative and transformative transactions, including multiple gigawatts of wind and solar projects around the world. We regularly advise on first-of-their-kind and novel deals involving a range of renewable energy production assets, such as offshore and onshore wind, utility and distributed solar, geothermal, biomass, and biogas.