For decades, Latham has served businesses and investors seeking innovative solutions to some of the most complex corporate, financial and litigation challenges. Latham's Hong Kong team provides strategic thinking and experienced counsel. Latham regularly serves as the firm of choice for local and international financial institutions, companies and investors conducting business in Hong Kong, as well as for local companies in their direct investment activities and capital markets transactions overseas.
Latham's Hong Kong team leverages the experience and insight of some of Asia's most seasoned lawyers, who have advised on the region's most complex and high-profile transactions and disputes that have set milestones for our clients and precedents in the Asian market.
The firm's team of Hong Kong, US and English law qualified lawyers are fluent in Mandarin and other Chinese dialects including Cantonese, Chiuchow, Shanghainese and Taiwanese, as well as Bahasa Indonesia, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Tagalog (Philippines) and Thai.
Latham provides clients an intimate understanding of the local marketplace, complementing the firm's global platform. For complex, cross-border transactions and disputes, our teams work seamlessly with Latham's offices throughout Asia and around the world, bridging across jurisdictions, languages, time zones and business cultures.
Key Practice Strengths
The firm's Hong Kong office provides insightful representation in a broad range of practice areas, including:
Recognized for Excellence in Hong Kong and Throughout
Latham was named the "Most Innovative Firm in the Asia-Pacific" by the Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers in 2015, and also received recognition as the "International Deal Firm of the Year" by Asian Legal Business at the 2014 South East Asia Law Awards, which recognizes the excellence and outstanding achievements of leading law firms in the region.
In the 2014 and 2015 editions of Chambers Asia-Pacific, Latham received a number of commendations for practice areas based in Greater China, including:
- Banking & Finance (International Firms) – "Offers solid expertise in an extensive range of financing transactions," and is "known for its project finance work, handling cross-border matters in close collaboration with the Singapore and Japan offices."
- Capital Markets (International Firms) – Latham "has noted capacity to take on a variety of capital markets matters, working on IPOs, rights offerings, hybrid offerings, and swaps for international issuers and underwriters. Highly rated debt practice includes deep experience in working on high-yield matters."
- Corporate/M&A: The Elite (International Firms) – "One of the top firms, with a strong regional practice."
- International Arbitration (International Firms) – Latham's arbitration team in China is "very well organized, professional and hard-working." Clients say, "I think very highly of this firm in the field of international arbitration."
- Dispute Resolution (International Firms) – "Technically excellent and always looking very strategically and at the larger litigation picture. They think through the litigation and its ramifications for the client’s commercial position."
- Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms) – "Renowned for its involvement in mega-projects and cutting-edge developments throughout the Asia-Pacific region."
- Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms) – "The team members are able to work independently, as a tight-knit team or in conjunction with other specialists. They always make you feel you are their top priority."
(The guide is based on client and peer feedback as well as the firm’s work during the last 12 to 24 months.)