For decades, Latham has served businesses and investors seeking innovative solutions to some of the most complex corporate, financial and litigation challenges. Latham's Hong Kong team provides strategic thinking and experienced counsel. Latham regularly serves as the firm of choice for local and international financial institutions, companies and investors conducting business in Hong Kong, as well as for local companies in their direct investment activities and capital markets transactions overseas.
Latham's Hong Kong team leverages the experience and insight of some of Asia's most seasoned lawyers, who have advised on the region's most complex and high-profile transactions and disputes that have set milestones for our clients and precedents in the Asian market.
The firm's team of Hong Kong, US and English law qualified lawyers are fluent in Mandarin and other Chinese dialects including Cantonese, Chiuchow, Shanghainese and Taiwanese, as well as Bahasa Indonesia, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Tagalog (Philippines) and Thai.
Latham provides clients an intimate understanding of the local marketplace, complementing the firm's global platform. For complex, cross-border transactions and disputes, our teams work seamlessly with Latham's offices throughout Asia and around the world, bridging across jurisdictions, languages, time zones and business cultures.
Key Practice Strengths
The firm's Hong Kong office provides insightful representation in a broad range of practice areas, including:
Recognized for Excellence in China and Throughout Asia-Pacific
Latham was named to Asian Legal Business’ “Innovation List” in 2016, and the "Most Innovative Firm in the Asia-Pacific" by the Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers in 2015, which recognizes the firm's impressive track record providing cutting-edge advice on some of the region’s most complex and innovative transactions.
In the 2017 edition of Chambers Asia-Pacific, Latham received a number of commendations for practice areas based in Greater China, including:
- Banking & Finance – "The quality is pretty high - they are very responsive, very commercial."
- Capital Markets – Clients praise the Latham team for its "wealth of expertise, very short response times and commerciality." "They're very responsible, efficient and always respond to our query promptly."
- Corporate/M&A – "They have extremely good coverage in all the major markets we operate in - seamless global execution is the main draw." Another client appreciates that the team is "very quick, very flexible and available."
- International Arbitration – Clients are impressed by the level of the team's service, saying: "The team is very focused, extremely competent and goes straight to the heart of the matter. Its ability to deal with the situation at hand is excellent."
- Litigation – Clients hold the firm in high esteem for the quality of its work, one saying: "I am very happy and satisfied with the firm, as we have got the results that we expected."
- Projects & Infrastructure – Clients highlight the firm's "highly regarded project finance lawyers" who are "very responsive to the needs of their clients and take a very practical and pragmatic approach to transactions." Others point to the firm's client-friendly approach, explaining: “They're extremely familiar with the constraints faced by clients. They provide excellent support as they know what the options are."
- Restructuring/Insolvency – Clients appreciate the firm's willingness to work closely with their businesses: "I love working with them; it makes me a better professional, and I learn something every time." Sources also highlight the team's "responsiveness, quick turnaround times and efficiency."
(The guide is based on client and peer feedback as well as the firm’s work during the last 12 months.)