A Broad Spectrum of Services
Latham lawyers collaborate across practice groups and jurisdictions to serve leading sponsors, financial institutions, investment funds, and developers operating in virtually all of the world’s major energy centers, including in Europe, North America, and Latin America. The firm combines preeminent legal talent offering comprehensive capabilities in development, finance, regulatory, litigation, and investment strategies, with sophisticated experience in a range of renewables technologies.
Latham draws on the insights and experience of the firm’s global Project Development & Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, Tax Equity, Energy Regulatory, Investment Funds, Leveraged & Acquisition Finance, and Environment, Land & Resources teams to advise on:
- Project development and financing matters, including credit facilities, private placements and innovative forms of mezzanine debt and equity structures
- Joint venture arrangements for all forms of development, financing, and capital market activities
- Power trading and selling arrangements, ranging from offtakes with utilities, corporates and community choice aggregators (CCAs) using contract for differences, proxy swaps, and other hedges
- Tax equity financings and other novel forms of tax benefit monetization transactions
- Investments and transactions involving renewable energy companies and funds, including the:
- Formation, structuring, and negotiation of private and public investment vehicles and co-investment opportunities focused on renewable energy assets and businesses
- Purchase, sale, and spin-offs of project assets, platform companies, and majority and minority shares
An Industry Powerhouse
Latham brings unique experience advising on complex renewable energy-related matters since the 1980s, including many of the industry’s most innovative and transformative transactions. In particular, Latham has advised clients on multiple gigawatts of wind and solar projects around the world over the past two decades.
Today, the firm regularly handles first-of-their-kind and novel deals involving a range of renewable energy production assets, such as offshore and onshore wind, utility and distributed solar, geothermal, biomass, and biogas. The firm also actively advises clients on recent trends and emerging related business opportunities involving fuel cells and energy storage, as well as carbon capture and sequestration projects.
The firm has earned widespread recognition for excellence in renewable energy matters, including #1 rankings in various industry league tables. Notably, Chambers recently ranked Latham as Band 1 for many of the practice groups advising the renewables sector.