Leif Schrader advises private equity funds and other financial investors on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions and joint ventures.

Mr. Schrader counsels clients primarily on private equity transactions, including:

  • M&A transactions
  • Co-investments
  • Management participations
  • Joint ventures
  • Minority investments 
  • Capital market transactions (IPOs)

Mr. Schrader draws on extensive experience handling transactions in a full spectrum of industries, including aerospace, technology, chemicals, and industrials. He is recognized as a notable dealmaker in IFLR1000 and JUVE. Given his sophisticated sense of what is at market, he develops pragmatic solutions to execute clients’ deals. Complementing his considerable transactional experience, he has served in-house as general counsel for an aerospace company in the Middle East. 

Mr. Schrader’s representative experience includes advising:

Private Equity Transactions

  • Clayton, Dubilier & Rice on the acquisition* and subsequent sale of Mauser Group to Stone Canyon
  • CVC on its:
    • Investment in ironSource, deSPAC merger of ironSource and Thoma Bravo Advantage, and subsequent merger with Unity Technology
    • Acquisition of Linde’s North and South American business together with Messer Group GmbH
    • Acquisition of the Tipico Group
  • KKR and Hyperion on the acquisition of Arno Friedrichs Hartmetall
  • Onex on the IPO of SIG Combibloc Group, the largest IPO in Switzerland and the second-largest IPO in Europe in 2018
  • Platinum Equity on the acquisition of Multi-Color Corporation
  • Quadriga Capital on the:
    • Acquisition of Vescon Group and Schiller Group for the purpose of creating a new platform for industrial automation and subsequent add-on acquisitions of SCIO
    • Sale of LAPP Insulators Holding
    • Acquisition of GBA Gesellschaft für Bioanalytik mbH
    • Sale of its majority stake in SCIO Automation Holding GmbH
  • Triton on several transactions, including the:
    • Acquisition of All4Labels 
    • Sale of COBEX
    • Acquisition of IFCO through a consortium together with the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA)
    • Acquisition of the Dutch Royal Reesink
    • Acquisition of the cathodes, furnace linings, and carbon electrodes division of SGL Group (later COBEX)

Strategic M&A Transactions

  • Callaway on the acquisition of Jack Wolfskin     
  • Illinois Tool Works on the acquisition of the engineered fasteners and components business from ZF/TRW    
  • Broadcom Limited on the acquisition of the spectrometer business of RGB Photonics GmbH
  • Italian Coesia on the sale of its Laetus business to Danaher
  • Rockwood on a joint venture with Tianqi for the Tallison Western Australian lithium mine*
  • Rockwood on a joint venture for titanium dioxide with Kemira by a combination of Sachtleben and Kemira’s titanium dioxide business*
  • Mubadala on a joint venture with Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin for a military repair and overhaul center in Abu Dhabi*
  • B&M on the acquisition of 80% of the shares in J.A. Woll Handels GmbH and the arrangement of call options for the remaining 20%* 

*Matter handled prior to joining Latham

Bar Qualification

  • Rechtsanwalt (Germany)


  • Second German State Exam, Higher Regional Court, Cologne
  • Dr. jur., University of Constance
  • First German State Exam, University of Constance

Languages Spoken

  • English
  • German