A Global, Integrated Network
Latham, named Band 1 for FinTech by Chambers USA, regularly serves emerging and blockchain-enabled technology companies, investors, crypto exchanges, broker-dealers, and leading global financial institutions that are revolutionizing the delivery of financial services. Latham provides advice across practice areas and jurisdictions, drawing on the team’s cutting-edge technical knowledge of the varied disruptive technologies that underpin the industry, including on:
- Commodities/securities law
- Corporate finance — e.g., angel financings, venture capital financings, prefunctional token sale financings, private equity financings, bridge loans, mezzanine financings
- Initial coin offerings (ICOs)
- Intellectual property
- Investigations and enforcement
- Payments — regulatory, transactional, and general corporate matters related to traditional and emerging payment technologies, money transmission, digital and virtual currencies, electronic and mobile payments, sored value, payment instruments, credit products, and e-commerce
- Regulatory and compliance
A dedicated global team of more than 80 lawyers focuses on tracking and analyzing developments affecting the blockchain and cryptocurrency industry, spanning multiple practice areas within the firm.
The Latham team includes former enforcement supervisors and prosecutors from the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission, US Securities and Exchange Commission, UK Serious Fraud Office, UK Financial Conduct Authority and the Securities & Commodities Fraud Task Force of the US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, as well as former senior US Department of Justice officials.
A Ledger of Pioneering Results
Latham lawyers have advised clients on cutting-edge mandates globally including:
- Guiding one of the world’s leading blockchain technology companies through cross-border legal and regulatory challenges as it establishes venture capital, asset management, and token advisory services, places venture investments, acquires firms, and develops numerous “spoke” projects. This work covers financial regulatory, tax, and fund issues, in jurisdictions throughout Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the US.
- Representing token trading platforms and ICO issuers facing SEC investigations.
- Advising several of the world’s leading cryptocurrency exchanges on global regulatory issues.