Providing Clients with a Single Point of Expertise
Latham & Watkins' information law, data privacy and cybersecurity practitioners in Europe, the United States, Asia and the Middle East not only advise on compliance and best practices for data management and incident preparedness, but also excel at the just-in-time, experience-based legal advice that is needed in the immediate aftermath of cyber incidents.
Named 2013 “Privacy Group of the Year” by Law 360, Latham’s information law, data privacy and cybersecurity practitioners defend government investigations and other privacy proceedings, provide compliance advice focusing on cross-border and novel matters and issues, and advise on the privacy and data security aspects of multi-billion dollar transactions and investments. The hallmark of Latham’s Information Law, Data Privacy & Cybersecurity Practice is the ability to deliver rapid global response capabilities on data protection or cyber security issues, and to develop innovative structures, processes and arguments to enable global organizations to comply with an increasingly complex (and often conflicting) global regulatory environment.
Scope of Services
Latham lawyers routinely advise on:
- Collection and use of employee and consumer personal data, including export of personal data to countries outside the EEA
- Cybercrime and data breach insurance policies and claims
- Cybercrime incident preparedness, response, breach notifications, and related internal and external investigations
- Data sharing, including exploitation of big data
- Direct marketing activities
- Disclosure of data to law enforcement authorities
- International data protection compliance programs and audits and responses to government compliance reviews
- Payment card association, post-breach penalties and audits
- Privacy policies, documentation and procedures as well as privacy impact assessments