Robert Brown advises on compliance with US and international data privacy and security laws and guides clients through the data privacy and security aspects of complex corporate transactions. He was among the first attorneys in Texas to be recognized as a Privacy Law Specialist, an accredited certification provided by the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP).
Mr. Brown regularly helps clients across all market sectors navigate the business implications and compliance challenges of new and evolving data privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) (and similar laws in other states), the EU/UK General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), and various sector-specific state and federal regulations, such as the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Drawing on previous experience as global data privacy counsel for a Fortune 500 energy company and as legal counsel for a Fortune 500 technology company, he takes a risk-based approach to:
- Assessing data privacy and security risks and applicable legal obligations
- Designing data privacy compliance programs
- Counseling on product development and the use of new technologies, including blockchain and AI
- Drafting and updating both internal and external privacy policies and notices
- Negotiating data privacy and security contract terms and data processing agreements
- Providing data privacy and security support on corporate transactions
- Navigating the complexities of sophisticated data sharing arrangements
- Addressing data privacy issues related to digital marketing, employee privacy, and cross-border data transfers
Recognized by the IAPP as a Privacy Law Specialist, a Certified Information Privacy Professional, and a Certified Information Privacy Manager, Mr. Brown often presents on data privacy as a panelist or featured speaker at conferences and forums.