Dr. Rüdiger Malaun is a partner in the Munich office of Latham & Watkins and global Co-chair of the firm’s Capital Markets Practice. Dr. Malaun advises on capital market transactions, with a particular focus on debt capital market financings, including high-yield bonds and other debt instruments, as well as on equity and equity-linked capital markets instruments. In recent years, he has advised investment banks, corporate and sponsor clients on more than 45 high-yield bond transactions in Germany and other European jurisdictions and on large corporate bonds and hybrid capital securities issues in Germany. Mr. Malaun also advises on bank financing transactions and on bond restructurings.
Mr. Malaun is on the “Client Service All-Stars 2017” list, BTI Consulting Group’s annual recognition of lawyers selected based on feedback from corporate counsel and executives. He is a “leading name” and a “recommended lawyer” for debt capital markets (IFLR1000 2017, The Legal 500 Germany 2017, JUVE 2016/2017, Handelsblatt Best Lawyers 2016). He is also listed as a “notable practitioner” for Capital Markets in Austria (Chambers 2015).
Clients and competitors describe him as “the leading High Yield Bond expert in Germany” (JUVE 2015/2016). A client states: “He is the expert in high-yield bonds. […] He knows who is on the other side and where the issues are going to be, so that he can address them straight away.“ (Chambers Europe Germany 2016).
IFLR1000 2013 states: “The jewel in Latham's capital markets crown is its high yield offering. The team is led by the respected Rüdiger Malaun, who is regarded as the leading expert in this area in Germany by many. In terms of its experience and the number and size of deals the firm is involved in, it is unsurpassed in Germany.” Furthermore, in 2012, IFLR1000 writes: “If you look at the German market, the one firm that has been absolutely dominant has been Latham. Given the deal size, the transaction volume and the number of years they've actually been on the market doing it. If there is a tier one they are the only firm in it. […]” and “As far as I know he [Rüdiger Malaun] is the best in Germany for high-yield, […] He really knows the product. […] Very efficient, very focused and very smooth as far as managing the process of the financing.”
Prior to joining the firm in 2001 in Latham's London office, Mr. Malaun was partner at an Austrian law firm in Vienna. He is admitted to practice in Germany and Austria.
Dr. Rüdiger Malaun's experience includes advising:
- Bank consortium on a bond/bank financing in the context of the merger of TUI AG with TUI Travel plc (total deal value over US$7 billion (equivalent))
- Bank consortium on a series of senior secured notes offering in the aggregate value of more than €4.5 billion (equivalent) by Schaeffler Group and on the offering of €1.24 billion (equivalent) senior secured PIK toggle notes by Schaeffler Holding Finance
- Bank consortium on the offering of €495 million senior secured notes of Progroup AG and a €125 million PIK toggle notes offering of JH Holding
- Allianz Capital Partners on the offering of €550 million (equivalent) senior secured notes and a €220 million PIK loan of Selecta AG
- Bank consortium on the offering of €322 million senior secured notes by Pfleiderer GmbH
- Bank consortium on the offering of €460 million second lien notes by Tank & Rast in connection with a €2.1 billion bank/bond refinancing
- Bank consortium on three senior notes offerings by Hapag-Lloyd with a total issue volume of €650 million
- Xella on €300 million senior secured notes, €200 million PIK Toggle notes and €325 million senior secured floating rate notes
- Grohe Holding on a series of notes offerings with a total issue volume of over €1.6 billion
- Onex Corporation on €325 million senior secured notes offering in connection with the acquisition of the KraussMaffei Group