Fifteen Latham & Watkins partners have been named 2020 MVPs by Law360 in the legal news service’s annual recognition of leading lawyers in a range of practice area and industry categories. The honorees "have distinguished themselves from their peers by securing hard-earned successes in high-stakes litigation, complex global matters and record-breaking deals," according to Law360.
Latham's total of 15 MVPs across 12 categories was the most among law firms this year. The 2020 Latham honorees include:
- Gary E. Axelrod, Global Co-Chair of the firm's Hospitality, Gaming & Leisure Industry Group, named in Law360’s Hospitality category. His practice focuses on complex business transactions in the real estate, hospitality, gaming, and leisure industries, advising clients that include real estate private equity sponsors and funds, REITs, institutional investors, operating companies, and entrepreneurial developers engaged in all aspects of real estate investment and development. He regularly represents owners and operators in connection with the sale, acquisition, development, financing, ownership, and management of hotel, resort, and gaming properties. He was previously honored by Law360 as a Hospitality MVP in 2019, 2016, and 2015.
- Daniel G. Brown and Kenneth G. Schuler, partners in the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice jointly honored in the Life Sciences category. Both partners are seasoned patent trial lawyers with extensive experience in the life sciences industry, particularly brand-side pharmaceutical patent litigation involving claims arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act, and other complex cross-disciplinary litigation involving patent, antitrust, and regulatory matters. Notably, they secured two important patent trial wins this year for Par Sterile Products and Eagle Pharmaceuticals protecting the Adrenalin® and Bendeka® products by obtaining injunctive relief which block generics from entering the markets for these two drugs until 2035 and 2031, respectively.
- Melanie M. Blunschi, a partner in the Securities Litigation & Professional Liability and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices, recognized in the Class Action category. Her practice focuses on high-stakes commercial disputes in the technology sector, and she has an established track record of success in securities, privacy, and consumer class actions.
- Andrew Clubok, Global Chair of the Securities Litigation & Professional Liability Practice, selected in the Trials category. A premier, go-to trial lawyer for complex, bet-the-company disputes, he has diverse experience in trial, appellate, and administrative litigation across a wide range of substantive areas including securities law, tax litigation, environmental litigation, telecommunications, restructuring, and commercial litigation. His recent successes at trial include .
- Elizabeth Deeley, Global Vice Chair of the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice, honored in the Technology category. A trusted advisor to technology industry trailblazers and many Fortune 100 companies, she leverages deep-rooted experience to navigate clients through complex business disputes, high-stakes litigation, risk mitigation, and creative resolutions to disputes.
- Alice S. Fisher, a partner in the White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice and former member of the firm’s Executive Committee, named in Law360’s White Collar category. She handles white collar criminal and internal investigations, with significant experience in corporate investigations and enforcement matters, and she frequently provides strategic counsel to clients on managing the legal risks of operating in a global economy.
- Matthew L. Henegar, a partner in the Project Development & Finance Practice and Local Chair of the New York Finance Department, recognized in the Project Finance category. He represents financial institutions, developers, and private equity sponsors in all phases of the development, financing, and restructuring of power, renewable energy, oil and gas, and other infrastructure projects.
- Ryan J. Maierson, Global Chair of the Public Company Representation Practice and Global Vice Chair of the Capital Markets Practice, selected in the Energy category. His practice focuses on corporate transactions, including M&A deals and corporate finance transactions as well as both business combination transactions and initial public offerings involving special purpose acquisition companies. For example, he recently advised Equitrans Midstream Corporation in transformative actions including its acquisition of EQM Midstream Partners, a share buy back from EQT, and entrance into a gas gathering and compression agreement with EQT (and various affiliates).
- Brook B. Roberts and John M. Wilson, partners in the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice, jointly honored in the Insurance category. They advise clients on complex insurance coverage and bad faith disputes, involving a wide range of environmental, property, casualty, investment, and professional liability matters. Their collaborations include a recent sweeping California Supreme Court victory for their client, Montrose Chemical Corporation, in a decision of national importance for policyholders.
- Michael Rubin, a leader of Latham’s Data Privacy & Security Practice and Global Vice Chair of the Technology Industry Group, named in Law360’s Cybersecurity & Privacy category. He is a go-to lawyer sought out by leading technology and other Fortune 100 companies to help them with their most urgent and challenging data crises, and is widely known for his unique approach to significant, high-profile privacy litigation, global regulatory and internal investigations, and complex compliance matters. His cross-disciplinary practice has earned him top recognition in leading legal, business, and technology publications in the US.
- Adam Sullins, Co-Chair of the Entertainment, Sports & Media Industry Group, recognized in the Sports category. He represents sports teams, owners and investors, media companies, corporate sponsors, as well as leagues, players associations, governing bodies, and athletes on a full spectrum of corporate matters across the sports industry.
- Eric S. Volkman and Hui Xu, partners in the White Collar Defense & Investigations Practice, jointly honored in the Compliance category. Working across borders from their offices in Washington, D.C. and Beijing, respectively, Volkman and Xu represent clients in multi-jurisdictional white collar investigations, litigation, and trade and economic sanctions matters – such as their success representing transportation services conglomerate China COSCO Shipping Corporation Limited in its efforts to lift sanctions imposed by the US government against one of its oil tanker subsidiaries. Xu chairs the firm’s Litigation & Trial Department in Asia.