Eric Volkman is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins. He is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department and practices in the areas of white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, trade and economic sanctions, and complex civil litigation. Mr. Volkman has represented clients facing government investigations into alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), export controls and trade sanctions, federal securities laws (including insider trading) and a variety of other regulatory regimes in the government contracting, energy and financial sectors. In the course of Mr. Volkman’s practice, he represents clients in investigations conducted by the US Department of Justice, the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, the US Department of State and various congressional committees.
In addition to government-facing investigations, a significant aspect of Mr. Volkman’s practice involves counseling financial institutions, institutional investors and other companies on these issues in connection with cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions, as well as third-party diligence. He also assists clients in designing and implementing compliance programs on these and other topics, both in the US and abroad.
Mr. Volkman has been recognized by Global Investigations Review in its “40 Under 40” list of the world’s leading investigations lawyers.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Volkman clerked for Judge David F. Hamilton in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
Mr. Volkman’s representative experience includes:
- Conducting internal investigations and defending clients facing criminal investigations by the Department of Justice and other enforcement agencies related to alleged violations of trade sanctions, export controls and federal securities laws
- Performing transactional due diligence and counseling clients on compliance with IEEPA, ITAR, the FCPA and anti-money laundering laws
- Representing clients in civil suits and government investigations related to alleged violations of the False Claims Act
- Advising a public company and its executives in connection with investigations by and testimony before congressional committees
- Representing a hedge fund and its principals in complex civil litigation