Eric Volkman is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office of Latham & Watkins. He is a member of the Litigation & Trial Department and practices in the areas of white collar criminal defense, internal corporate investigations, trade and economic sanctions, and complex civil litigation.
Mr. Volkman has represented clients facing government investigations into alleged violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), export controls and trade sanctions, federal securities laws (including insider trading), and a variety of other regulatory regimes in the government contracting, energy, and financial sectors. In the course of Mr. Volkman’s practice, he represents clients in investigations conducted by the US Department of Justice (DOJ), the Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control, the US Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, the US Department of State, and various congressional committees.
In addition to government-facing investigations, a significant aspect of Mr. Volkman’s practice involves counseling multi-national clients on implementing effective sanctions, anti-corruption, and AML compliance programs.
Mr. Volkman also counsels financial institutions, institutional investors, and other companies on these issues in connection with cross-border M&A and capital markets transactions, as well as third-party diligence. He also assists clients in designing and implementing compliance programs on these and other topics, both in the US and abroad.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Volkman clerked for Judge David F. Hamilton in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Indiana.
Mr. Volkman’s representative experience includes:
- Representing a multi-national bank in dealings with US and foreign regulators and a court-appointed monitor regarding compliance with US sanctions, export controls, and AML laws
- Defending a leading global oilfield services company in investigations by the DOJ’s National Security Division, and managing post-resolution reviews by regulators and an independent compliance consultant
- Counseling a global telecommunications company on US sanctions compliance with respect to operations related to Iran
- Defending a health and beauty products company in an OFAC sanctions enforcement action
- Counseling a leading social media company on compliance with US sanctions and anti-terrorism laws
- Designing and implementing a trade sanctions and exports control policy for a global manufacturer of packaging products
- Conducting an internal investigation for a leading aerospace company and defending the company before the State Department related to potential violations of ITAR
- Counseling a big-box retailer on compliance with US sanctions and export controls
- Representing numerous issuers, borrowers, underwriters, and lenders in transactional due diligence and counseling on compliance with IEEPA, ITAR, the FCPA, and anti-money laundering laws
- Advising a public company and its executives in connection with investigations by and testimony before congressional committees
- Representing a hedge fund and its principals in complex civil litigation
- Representing an executive of one of the world’s largest banks in an SEC investigation