Elizabeth Deeley, Global Vice Chair of the Complex Commercial Litigation Practice, is a seasoned trial lawyer with a winning courtroom presence and astute business instincts. A top advisor to many Fortune 100 companies, Ms. Deeley regularly navigates clients through complex business disputes.
Ms. Deeley has extensive experience defending companies in complex business litigation and class actions. She has also helped clients successfully navigate formal and informal inquiries and investigations before the US Securities and Exchange Commission, US Department of Justice, and other regulators.
Her practice covers a broad range of business disputes, including consumer protection and unfair business practices, false advertising, fraud, securities, contract, trade secrets, privacy, and business torts.
Ms. Deeley has represented top companies, officers, and directors across a variety of industries, including technology, banking, finance, insurance, automobile, telecommunications, food, retail, pharmaceuticals, chemical, health, and fitness. Corporate boards, executives, and investors routinely seek Ms. Deeley’s deep rooted experience on high-stakes litigation matters, risk mitigation, and creative resolutions to disputes.
Additionally, Ms. Deeley provides clients business-savvy, pre-litigation counseling focused on resolving issues and disputes before they become significant business threats or obstacles.
Ms. Deeley has represented:
- One of the world’s largest social media companies and its officers and directors in consolidated securities class actions and shareholder derivative lawsuits following one of the largest IPO’s to date, winning dismissal of the derivative lawsuits with prejudice and affirmance on appeal by the Second Circuit; multiple class actions alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991 (TCPA), winning dismissal of one case at the pleading stage and stays of other cases; a securities class action relating to advertising metrics, winning a motion to dismiss; and an antitrust lawsuit alleging illegal tying, group boycott, and monopolization for measures to block unauthorized adware, defeating a preliminary injunction motion and winning dismissal
- One of the world’s largest fitness companies in multiple federal and state class actions claiming fraud, violations of various state unfair competition, unfair business practices, and false advertising laws in connection with sales practices; multiple district attorney’s investigations concerning the Company’s sales and advertising practices; a nationwide class action claiming breach of contract and violations of the Racketeer Influenced Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO), Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA), California Consumer Legal Remedies Act (CLRA), and California Unfair Competition Law (UCL) related to dues charges; and multiple state and federal class actions alleging breach of contract, CLRA and UCL violations related to club access rights
- One of the nation’s largest life insurance companies in a nationwide class action alleging breach of contract for overcharges on life insurance policies and a California class action alleging fraud and violations of California’s Unfair Competition Law (§17200) and Elder Abuse statute for failure to disclose life settlement alternatives*
- Investment bank in a breach of contract arbitration, winning an injunction, damages, fees, and costs*
- A global health care company in a nationwide class action alleging that nutrition bars were falsely advertised as “All Natural,” defeating Plaintiff’s bid for class certification*
- One of the world’s largest conglomerates in a breach of contract and accounting fraud lawsuit in connection with its purchase of a security company at an inflated price, winning over US$33 million in damages*
- A financial technology focused private equity firm in an international arbitration involving alleged fraud and violations of the US Patriot Act and foreign anti-money laundering laws, winning a full defense award*
- Large telecommunications company in a three-week bench trial on fraud and breach of contract claims, winning on all claims*
- One the world’s largest investment banks in dozens of securities class actions and an antitrust lawsuit alleging market manipulation, fraud claims, and IPO-related misconduct*
- A top venture capital firm in a breach of contract and trade secret misappropriation lawsuit alleging theft and use of confidential investment and sales information by former top managers and their new employer, defeating motions to dismiss and forcing a favorable settlement*
- One of the nation’s largest banks in a nationwide class action alleging violations of the Rosenthal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the California Financial Code, CLRA, and unfair competition law for improper account deductions*
- Board of Directors and Officers of one of the nation’s largest life insurance companies in a lawsuit alleging fraud and forgery, winning a dismissal with prejudice, affirmed on appeal by the Tenth Circuit*
- Online retail brokerage company and its officers and directors in a lawsuit alleging fiduciary duty breaches in connection with its acquisition by one of the nation’s second largest brokerage companies*
- Top geospatial technology company and private equity firm in a lawsuit alleging, violations of CO Securities Act for stock value misrepresentations, winning dismissal with prejudice of securities claims*
- Automobile service contract and warranty company in earn-out dispute alleging breach of contract and misrepresentation, winning dismissal of misrepresentation claims, and winning a defense award on the earn-out claims*
- One of the largest brokerage firms and individual investment advisors in numerous securities arbitrations*
- Baby food manufacturer in Federal Trade Commission (FTC) antitrust lawsuit challenging its merger with another baby food manufacturer*
- Software company in FTC antitrust lawsuit challenging its acquisition of a software company*
- Telecommunications company in breach of contract and antitrust lawsuit against a hardware supplier*
- A major oil company in a lawsuit alleging environmental and nuisance claims related to climate change, winning dismissal*
- Multiple private equity firms and portfolio companies in breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, trade secret misappropriation, and fraud lawsuits*
- Technology, pharmaceutical, and chemical companies in a variety of commercial disputes, including those involving breach of contracts and licenses, alleged theft of trade secrets, solicitation of employees, and unfair business practices*
- Municipality, police and sheriffs’ departments, and individual officers and deputies in multiple civil rights and wrongful death lawsuits*
- Municipal agencies in multiple tort lawsuits and arbitrations*
- Pro bono client in employment discrimination lawsuit, winning US$3.5 million verdict*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham