Congressional investigations can cause irreversible damage to a company’s reputation, result in criminal referrals and have significant financial and business consequences.
A seemingly benign congressional request for information, documentation or testimony can evolve into a full-scale investigation, with far-reaching effects. Latham has experience with the investigative process, applicable rules, the potential civil and criminal implications, and the politics and parties involved, all of which are necessary to prepare an appropriate response.
Latham’s experience with the US Congress, as coupled with its in-depth understanding of the applicable regulatory frameworks, legal requirements and industry practices, provides clients with advisors well-versed in the trends of the healthcare and life sciences markets.
The team’s breadth of knowledge and experience includes:
- US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and healthcare regulatory compliance
- Government and private-payer coverage and reimbursement
- Requirements applicable to healthcare providers
- Fraud defense for managed care, hospital and health systems, drug and medical device companies
The highly skilled bi-partisan team of former US government officials and investigators understands the consequences of congressional inquiries, the nuances of the federal investigative process and the political influences that often drive these investigations. Many of the team members have held senior government positions including:
- Counsel of the Senate Special Investigation of Campaign Finance Abuses
- General Counsel of the Department of Health and Human Services
- Assistant Attorney General, Chief of the Criminal Division, Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Deputy Assistant Attorney General, Criminal Division, DOJ
- Associate Counsel to President Bill Clinton