Leah Friedman is counsel in the New York office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Trial Department. She is a member of the firm’s global Antitrust & Competition and Complex Commercial Litigation Practices, with a focus on domestic and international antitrust litigation, class action defense, and complex commercial disputes.
Ms. Friedman devotes a portion of her practice to pro bono representation, advising clients in connection with criminal defense, human rights, and family law matters. She has served on the New York City Bar Association Litigation Committee.
Ms. Friedman was educated at the University of Sydney and Harvard Law School. Prior to joining Latham, she was associated with a premier New York law firm, and served as a law clerk to a Justice of the High Court of Australia.
Ms. Friedman has recently represented:
- BG Group in its successful appeal to the Supreme Court of the United States seeking the enforcement of an investment arbitration award entered against Argentina*
- Raoul Weil, the former CEO of UBS AG’s global wealth management business, in a federal criminal trial concerning the alleged violation of US tax laws*
- A digital directories business in a federal jury trial involving claims of unfair competition, solicitation, and misuse of confidential information
- The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi in an action against a Brazilian corporation seeking recovery of loan amounts following default
- A major global automobile manufacturer in class action litigation alleging RICO and other claims stemming from the alleged maintenance of undisclosed emissions “defeat devices”
- PepsiCo, Inc. in an antitrust action alleging price-fixing and monopolization in the market for carbonated soft drinks*
- A biotechnology firm in an action brought by a competitor alleging anticompetitive conduct in the United States
- A hedge fund in emergency actions seeking payment of dividends
- A global bank in antitrust class action proceedings alleging manipulation of the Canadian Dealer Offered Rate and related financial instruments in the United States
- A financial institution in ongoing antitrust class action proceedings alleging the manipulation of the benchmark prices for gold, silver, platinum, and palladium*
- A financial institution in a series of antitrust class action proceedings alleging a conspiracy to manipulate the auction process for US Treasury Securities*
- A biotechnology company in an action resisting the enforcement of arbitral awards relating to an underlying patent-licensing dispute*
- A financial institution in a series of antitrust class action proceedings alleging a conspiracy to maintain control of the over-the-counter interest rate swaps markets*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham