After opening its doors in January 2010, Latham & Watkins' Beijing office is the most recent addition to the firm’s Greater China practice.
Working closely with the Greater China team based in Hong Kong and Shanghai, as well as colleagues in Singapore and Tokyo, the Beijing office represents Chinese companies in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, capital markets transactions and complex financing transactions. The team also advises US, European and Asian companies conducting business in China and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
The Greater China team includes lawyers who are fluent in both written and spoken Mandarin and have received US, Hong Kong and PRC legal education and training.
Transactional Prowess in Greater China
As part of the Greater China practice, lawyers in the Beijing office handle a range of transactions, including international capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity, restructurings and project financings.
Members of the Latham team draw on more than 25 years of experience advising clients doing business in China. As counsel to issuers or underwriters, the firm's lawyers have been involved in many international equity, debt and equity-linked offerings by issuers in China and across Asia. Latham also represents some of the world's largest private equity funds and multinational corporations in their acquisitions or investments in the PRC and Asia. In addition, the firm regularly acts as lead counsel for the sponsors or lenders on the region's landmark power, petrochemical, and oil and gas projects.
Recognized for Excellence in China and Throughout Asia-Pacific
Latham was named to Asian Legal Business’ “Innovation List” in 2016, and the "Most Innovative Firm in the Asia-Pacific" by the Financial Times Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers in 2015, which recognizes the firm's impressive track record providing cutting-edge advice on some of the region’s most complex and innovative transactions.
In the 2017 edition of Chambers Asia-Pacific, Latham received a number of commendations for practice areas based in Greater China, including:
- Banking & Finance – "The quality is pretty high - they are very responsive, very commercial."
- Capital Markets – Clients praise the Latham team for its "wealth of expertise, very short response times and commerciality." "They're very responsible, efficient and always respond to our query promptly."
- Corporate/M&A – "They have extremely good coverage in all the major markets we operate in - seamless global execution is the main draw." Another client appreciates that the team is "very quick, very flexible and available."
- International Arbitration – Clients are impressed by the level of the team's service, saying: "The team is very focused, extremely competent and goes straight to the heart of the matter. Its ability to deal with the situation at hand is excellent."
- Litigation – Clients hold the firm in high esteem for the quality of its work, one saying: "I am very happy and satisfied with the firm, as we have got the results that we expected."
- Projects & Infrastructure – Clients highlight the firm's "highly regarded project finance lawyers" who are "very responsive to the needs of their clients and take a very practical and pragmatic approach to transactions." Others point to the firm's client-friendly approach, explaining: “They're extremely familiar with the constraints faced by clients. They provide excellent support as they know what the options are."
- Restructuring/Insolvency – Clients appreciate the firm's willingness to work closely with their businesses: "I love working with them; it makes me a better professional, and I learn something every time." Sources also highlight the team's "responsiveness, quick turnaround times and efficiency."
(The guide is based on client and peer feedback as well as the firm’s work during the last 12 months.)