Described as a ‘Game Changer’ by the Financial Times’ report of the most innovative European law firms 2015, Latham’s London team combines market-leading expertise with the ideas, flexibility and commitment clients require to handle strategically important issues in markets that matter to them.
Clients describe Latham’s lawyers as pragmatic, commercial and agile. Latham’s teams use considerable experience, creativity and drive to find resolutions to the most complex legal issues and to see their projects through to successful conclusions.
The firm’s leading finance practice in London has earned a reputation in the market for an exceptional ability to transition seamlessly between all forms of senior and subordinated loan, bond, “bank and bond” and hybrid capital structures. The group regularly advises arrangers, lenders, sponsors and/or other borrowers on all types of leveraged and acquisition finance as well as project finance work. The practice also includes leading practitioners in derivatives and other sophisticated financial products.
Latham has market-leading experience in M&A, debt and equity financing, high yield, restructurings, recapitalisations, divestitures, data privacy and cyber security, and outsourcings. The firm offers comprehensive tax and environmental advice for complex multi-jurisdictional transactions and disputes.
The firm’s highly regarded London disputes practice boasts renowned litigators who focus on complex cross-border disputes, international and domestic litigation, civil fraud, banking litigation, international arbitration, public international law, export controls, as well as sanctions and crisis management.
Significant Deals and Disputes
Home to almost 300 lawyers, Latham is the top-ranked international firm in London* and advises on some of Europe’s most significant deals and disputes, including:
- Advising on more than 160 high yield offerings across Europe with an aggregate deal value of over US$121 billion during 2014/15. Latham continues to be the only firm ranked band 1 by Chambers for both Banking and High Yield
- Representing the London Metal Exchange before the Court of Appeal in the court’s first judicial review of a recognised investment exchange’s consultation process (earning a “commended” in the FT Innovation Awards 2015)
- Advising on three of the top six European buyouts in 2015 by deal value (Mergermarket), including representing Hellman & Friedman on the acquisition of the entirety of Bain Capital’s interest in Securitas Direct Verisure Group, one of the largest European buyouts in 2015 and the largest deal in Hellman & Friedman’s 30-year history
- Representing clients in more than 10% of all mergers filed with the Competition and Markets Authority in 2015
* Latham was ranked #1 in The Lawyer Magazine’s "Top 30 International Firms in London 2015" list
Latham & Watkins is the business name of Latham & Watkins (London) LLP, a registered limited liability partnership organised under the laws of New York and authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA No. 203820). A list of the names of the partners of Latham & Watkins (London) LLP is open to inspection at its principal place of business, 99 Bishopsgate, London EC2M 3XF, and such persons are either solicitors, registered foreign lawyers or European lawyers. We are affiliated with the firm Latham & Watkins LLP, a limited liability partnership organised under the laws of Delaware.