Liliana Paparelli Ranger named among the next generation of leaders in Hollywood by Variety.
Latham & Watkins lawyers are grounded in decades of experience across all sectors of entertainment, sports and media.
A Global, Full-Spectrum Practice
Latham’s practice combines decades of experience representing major industry players, unique market insights about the industries’ legal and financial drivers, and a seamless global platform to deliver sophisticated commercial advice on cutting-edge and high-stakes transactions and disputes around the world.
Media & Entertainment
Latham advises diversified global media companies, production and distribution houses, studios, digital and new media companies, iconic celebrities, licensors/rights holders and individual talent, as well investors and financiers leveraging the practice’s global reach and full-spectrum experience to help clients navigate:
- Acquisitions and mergers, investments, formations, dispositions, and joint ventures related to talent, international entertainment, and media companies
- Content licensing, development, production, acquisition, and distribution deals
- Complex digital media and technology agreements
- Disputes, claims, and government investigations related to parties ranging from individual talent to multinational companies
- Television, radio, and new media transactions
- Trademark and intellectual property licensing agreements
- EU State aid and regulatory compliance including European Commission investigations
Latham advises traditional sports as well as esports teams, owners, and governing bodies, as well as financial institutions, investors, corporate sponsors, stadium developers, TV broadcasters, and digital distribution and over-the-top (OTT) platforms on their most important negotiations, transactions, and disputes — from team purchases and broadcast licensing to stadium matters and sponsorships. Specifically, Latham guides clients on:
- Negotiating broadcast and new media rights agreements, corporate sponsorships and naming rights, and complex digital media and technology agreements
- Complex M&A and joint venture transactions
- Global financing across jurisdictions, including bank and capital markets
- Major league sports matters involving international football (soccer), the Olympic Family, National Football League (NFL), National Basketball Association (NBA), Major League Baseball (MLB), National Hockey League (NHL), Major League Soccer (MLS), as well as other global leagues
- Professional video game competition matters (eSports), including team acquisitions and sponsorships
- Sports betting regulations, online gaming transactions, and traditional sports and gaming properties
- Structuring sports-based television channels, new media platforms, and cross-border international operations
- Sophisticated litigation strategies to address all dimensions of mitigating risk, addressing antitrust and other regulatory challenges, and successfully resolving high-stakes commercial disputes