Timothy Hia is the Local Chair of the firm's Finance Department in Asia. He regularly serves lenders and borrowers on bank and acquisition financings, corporate securities and capital markets offerings, and project development and finance transactions.
Mr. Hia has broad experience acting for major corporate borrowers, private equity investors, underwriters, and financial advisors on transactions across South and Southeast Asia, including in Singapore, India, Indonesia, and Thailand.
Mr. Hia is regularly recognized by Chambers & Partners, IFLR and Legal 500 as a leading advisor on banking transactions in Singapore and Indonesia.
Mr. Hia's experience includes advising:
- TPG, as a co-investor with Northstar, on the financing for the acquisition of 80% of Greenfields Dairy, a Singapore-based company producing dairy products
- The mandated lead arrangers, including Morgan Stanley, HSBC, Bank of America, Bank of China, and ICBC in connection with a €1.3 billion financing of the acquisition by Tencent Holdings’ of an additional significant stake in US music entertainment company Universal Music Group
- A consortium comprising TPG Capital, Sumitomo Life Insurance Company, and others on a senior facility and a bridge-to-bond financing to finance a transaction to combine SingLife with global insurance company Aviva plc’s Singapore life insurance business, Aviva Ltd
- MCO Nominee One Limited, a subsidiary of Melco Resorts & Entertainments Limited, an operator of integrated resorts with entertainment and casino gaming facilities, on a HK$14.8 billion revolving credit facility
- TPG on a term loan facility in connection with the acquisition of Columbia Asia Healthcare Pte. Ltd., a provider of health care services
- TPG on a term loan facility in connection with the acquisition of Gribbles Pathology (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd, Quest Laboratories Vietnam Co., Ltd., and certain assets of Quest Laboratories Pte Ltd, providers of diagnostic laboratory services
- San Miguel Corporation on a US$2.1 billion term loan facility in connection with the acquisition of Holcim Philippines Inc., a Philippines-based cement manufacturer
- PT Semen Indonesia (Persero) Tbk on a US$1.3 billion term loan facility in connection with the acquisition of PT Holcim Indonesia Tbk, an Indonesian-based producer and distributor of cement, ready-mixed concrete, and aggregates
- Credit Suisse, DBS, and Standard Chartered, the joint lead managers and the underwriters of the issuance by Astrea V Pte Ltd of a US$600 million bond issuance backed by cash flows from a portfolio of private equity funds
- Clifford Capital as sponsor, manager, and subordinated note investor, in the first infrastructure project finance securitization in Asia. The US$458 million issuance included four classes of Notes issued by Bayfront Infrastructure Capital and three classes of investment grade rated notes (Class A, B, and C Notes) listed on the SGX-ST. This transaction was awarded the Asia-Pacific Bond Deal of the Year and Asian-mena Deal of the Year in 2018, and Structure Finance and Securitisation Deals of the Year in 2019 at the IFLR Asia-Pacific Awards
- A syndicate of banks on a US$400 million term loan facility, concurrent with a US$1 billion bond offering, for Adani Electricity Mumbai Limited, a provider of energy solutions
- The underwriters in connection with the issuance by Star Energy Geothermal of US$580 million 6.75% Senior Secured Notes due 2033. This transaction was awarded Best Green Bond (Indonesia) by The Asset Asian Awards of the Year 2018
- PT Gajah Tunggal Tbk, a leading Indonesian tire manufacturer, in a US$250 million term loan facility concurrent with a US$250 million senior secured bond offering
- Argentem Capital Partners on a series of structured term loan facilities for a listed Indonesian oil and gas services company
- The lenders in connection with the debt restructuring of PT Bumi Resources Tbk, a coal mining company. This transaction was awarded Finance Deal of the Year: Insolvency and Restructuring at the Asia Legal Awards 2018 and Deal of the Year in the Asian-mena Counsel Deals of the Year 2017