Tim Fenn is the Office Managing Partner in Latham & Watkins’ Houston office and former Chair of the firm’s Houston Tax Department with a particular focus on business taxation as it applies to partnerships and corporations. He represents energy and infrastructure clients, including upstream, midstream and downstream oil and gas companies, master limited partnerships (MLPs), oilfield services companies and infrastructure funds, as well as corporations, private equity firms, investment banks, partnerships, and individuals on tax-related issues involving mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, capital market transactions, and carbon capture.
Mr. Fenn has served as tax counsel to over 75 issuers and underwriters in initial public offerings of equity securities of MLPs. Mr. Fenn is a frequent speaker at investment banking conferences and energy industry symposiums and serves on the advisory board for the Alerian MLP index.
In addition to representing clients in connection with transactional matters, Mr. Fenn has successfully represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service and federal courts. Mr. Fenn spent several years as an investment banker with Goldman Sachs & Co. where he was part of the natural resources group.
Mr. Fenn offered tax advice with respect to the following M&A transactions:
- Wallbox Chargers – deSPAC merger with Kensington Capital Acquisition Corp. II
- QEP Resources – merger with Diamondback Energy, Inc.
- Sasol Limited – US$2.0 billion sale of a 50% stake in Lake Charles Chemical Plant to form a joint venture with LyondellBasell
- Equitrans Midstream – take-private of EQM Midstream Partners
- Shell Midstream Partners – acquisition of Royal Dutch Shell plc’s interest in Mattox Pipeline Company and certain logistic assets at Shell Norco Manufacturing Complex
- Energy Transfer – acquisition of SemGroup Corporation
- UGI Corporation – acquisition of remaining 74% stake in AmeriGas
- Enagas – co-investment (with Blackstone and other investors) to acquire Tallgrass Energy
- Energy Transfer Equity – acquisition of Energy Transfer Partners
- Archrock, Inc. – acquisition of its MLP, Archrock Partners LP
- Ensco plc – acquisition of Atwood Oceanics Inc.
- Rice Midstream Partners – merger with EQT Midstream Partners
- Clayton Williams Energy, Inc. – acquisition by Noble Energy, Inc.
- Rosetta Resources Inc. – acquisition by Noble Energy, Inc.
- Access Midstream Partners, LP – acquisition by Williams Partners LP
Mr. Fenn offered tax structuring advice related to the following initial public offerings:
- ProPetro Holding Corp.
- Smart Sand Inc.
- Antero Midstream GP LP
- PennTex Midstream Partners, LP
- CONE Midstream Partners LP
- Emerge Energy Services LP
- Phillips 66 Partners LP
- MPLX LP
- OCI Partners, LP
- Dynagas LNG Partners LP