Tim Fenn is the Office Managing Partner in Latham & Watkins’ Houston office and former Chair of the firm’s Houston Tax Department with a particular focus on business taxation as it applies to partnerships and corporations. He represents publicly traded partnerships, master limited partnerships (MLPs), upstream oil and gas companies, oilfield services companies, and other clients in the energy sector, as well as corporations, private equity firms, investment banks, partnerships, and individuals on tax-related issues involving mergers, acquisitions, restructurings, and capital market transactions.
Mr. Fenn has served as tax counsel to over 75 issuers and underwriters in initial public offerings of equity securities of MLPs. Mr. Fenn is a frequent speaker at investment banking conferences and energy industry symposiums and serves on the advisory board for the Alerian MLP index.
In addition to representing clients in connection with transactional matters, Mr. Fenn has successfully represented clients before the Internal Revenue Service, the US Tax Court, and several US appellate courts. Mr. Fenn has spent several years as an investment banker with Goldman Sachs & Co. where he was part of the natural resources group.
Mr. Fenn offered tax advice with respect to the following M&A transactions:
- Rice Midstream Partners in its US$2.4 billion merger with EQT Midstream Partners
- Energy Transfer Equity – US$62 billion acquisition of Energy Transfer Partners
- Clayton Williams Energy, Inc. – US$2.7 billion acquisition by Noble Energy, Inc.
- JP Energy Partners LP – US$456 million merger with American Midstream Partners, LP
- Energy Transfer Partners, LP - US$21.3 billion acquisition of Sunoco Logistics Partners LP
- Archrock, Inc. in its US$607 million acquisition of its master limited partnership, Archrock Partners LP
- Rosetta Resources Inc. – US$3.9 billion acquisition by Noble Energy, Inc.
- LinnCo LLC – US$4.3 billion acquisition of Berry Petroleum Co.
- Access Midstream Partners, L.P. – US$50 billion acquisition by Williams Partners L.P.
- Suburban Propane Partners LP – US$1.8 billion acquisition of Inergy Propane LLC
Mr. Fenn offered tax structuring advice related to the following Capital Markets transactions:
- ProPetro Holding Corp. – US$402 million initial public offering
- Smart Sand Inc. – US$128.7 million initial public offering
- Antero Midstream GP LP – US$875 million initial public offering
- PennTex Midstream Partners, LP – US$225 million initial public offering
- CONE Midstream Partners LP – US$442.75 million initial public offering
- Emerge Energy Services LP – US$131 million initial public offering
- Phillips 66 Partners LP – US$434.44 million initial public offering
- MPLX LP – US$437 million initial public offering
- OCI Partners, LP – US$315 million initial public offering
- Dynagas LNG Partners LP – US$258.75 million initial public offering