Simon Hawkins is counsel in the Hong Kong office of Latham and Watkins. Mr. Hawkins' is a Co-Chair of the firm’s Global Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Task Force. His practice focuses on financial regulation, including licensing matters, prime brokerage arrangements, securities dealing, financial market regulations, intermediary and distribution arrangements, product development and structuring, and FinTech.
Mr. Hawkins also advises on the regulatory aspects of capital market and M&A deals involving financial institutions, and he has particular expertise in structuring and negotiating bancassurance arrangements.
Mr. Hawkins was recognized as a Next Generation Lawyer in Hong Kong: Regulatory by The Legal 500 2018 and Top 200 Fintech Influencer in Asia by Fintech Asia and Lattice80.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Hawkins worked in the London, Shanghai, and Hong Kong offices of a leading international law firm.
Mr. Hawkins' representative experience includes advising:
- HSBC on the US$9.3 billion sale of its stake in Ping An*
- An international banking group on the Hong Kong aspects of its UK, US, and Hong Kong recovery and resolution plans*
- A US-headquartered bank on the restructuring of its Hong Kong banking and securities businesses*
- A US-headquartered bank on regulatory matters relating to its Hong Kong and Singapore private wealth management operations*
- A European FinTech company on its application to the HKMA to become licensed as an issuer of stored value facilities*
- A PRC technology company on the expansion and internationalization of its payments system (including an innovative mobile payments application)*
- Zurich on its acquisition of Kono Insurance Limited, an authorized general business insurer in Hong Kong*
- Prudential on the US$1.25 billion extension and expansion of its bancassurance partnership with Standard Chartered across 12 Asian countries*
- First Origin International Ltd. on its agreement to acquire Hong Kong Life Insurance Limited and entry into four related bancassurance partnerships*
- Manulife on its US$1.2 billion bancassurance partnership with DBS, covering mainland China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and Singapore*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham