Robert Price is an associate in the Litigation & Trial Department in the London office and a member of the firm’s International Arbitration Practice. He focuses his practice on commercial arbitration, investment treaty arbitration and complex litigation in the courts of England and Wales and overseas.
Mr. Price also advises on various aspects of international trade law, including EU and UK export control law, and UN, EU and UK international trade sanctions.
Prior to joining Latham & Watkins as an associate, Mr. Price spent time working in Latham's finance and corporate divisions. Mr. Price has also spent time in Latham's Hong Kong office.
Mr. Price's recent arbitration experience includes:
- Counsel to the Republic of Macedonia in an ICSID arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty in relation to an investment in an agricultural company (Swisslion v. Republic of Macedonia).
- Counsel to the Republic of Macedonia in an ICSID arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty in relation to an alleged investment in the finance sector (Guardian Fiduciary Trust, Ltd, f/k/a Capital Conservator Savings & Loan, Ltd v. Republic of Macedonia).
- Counsel for the Claimant in an ICSID arbitration under a bilateral investment treaty in respect of State interference with an investment in Egypt (Indorama International Finance Limited v. Egypt).
- The Government of Ukraine in an UNCITRAL arbitration brought under a bilateral investment treaty in relation to an investment in the ship-building industry.
- Counsel to the Claimant (a multinational European electric utility company) in an ICC arbitration relating to the construction of a heat and electricity generating plant in Russia.
- Advising a major Middle Eastern electric utility company regarding potential disputes in relation to the construction of a series of power plants in the Middle East.
- Counsel for the Respondents (US corporations) in an ICC arbitration relating to a joint venture agreement for the provision of health care services.
- Representing a major provider of telecommunicatıons services in Russia in English court proceedings arising out of an ICC arbitration award against it (Nomihold Securities Inc v Mobile Telesystems Finance SA).
- Counsel to a major provider of global financial services on a series of ongoing matters arising out of the Madoff fraud. The matters involve a series of litigations commenced against our client in the BVI, the Cayman Islands, Ireland and the United States. To date our client has settled on advantageous terms a number of the claims advanced agaınst it, and has won a series of important court victories in the afore-mentioned jurisdictions, which are currently being appealed.
Mr. Price also has a busy practice advising companies on the application of the UN, EU and UK sanctions regimes, including those imposed on Libya, Iran and Syria, and on issues related to EU and UK export control laws.