Rajiv Gupta is the local Chair for the Corporate Department in Singapore and Head of the firm’s India Practice. He has extensive experience in a wide range of corporate finance matters, including representing issuers and underwriters in both US and international securities transactions, particularly in initial public offerings, private placements, high-yield and investment-grade debt offerings, offerings of convertible debt, equity-linked and derivative products, structured finance, and exchange offers.
Mr. Gupta has also been involved in various mergers and acquisitions, restructuring and merchant banking transactions, spin-offs, and joint ventures. Mr. Gupta’s equity derivatives experience includes advising investment banks, issuers, and individuals on private equity derivatives transactions, forward contracts, collar transactions, ISDA contracts, swaps, and transactions involving innovative financial products.
Mr. Gupta is a pre-eminent figure for India-related capital markets work whom clients consider as setting the standard against which others are measured, as evidenced by his ranking as the only Chambers Asia-Pacific 2018 Band 1 ranked capital markets lawyer for India. He is also recognized as a leading lawyer for capital markets in Singapore. The guide notes that “everyone in the market holds him in high regard," and adds that “he combines technical proficiency with excellent client management." Mr. Gupta is also featured in Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders 2018.
Mr. Gupta's experience includes advising:
- The underwriters in Just Dial Limited’s US$165 million initial public offering of shares on the BSE, NSE and MCX
- MakeMyTrip Limited in its US$80.5 million initial public offering of shares on NASDAQ, the first US IPO by an Indian company in four years
- MakeMyTrip Limited in its US$125.8 million follow-on offering of shares on the NASDAQ, the first and only US registered deal out of India in 2011
- The underwriters in ICICI Bank Limited’s offer of US$5 billion American depositary shares
- Vedanta Resources plc in its US$1.7 billion dual tranche bond offering, comprising of US$1.2 billion 6.0% bonds due 2019, and US$500 million 7.125% bonds due 2023
- Vedanta Resources plc in its US$8.67 billion acquisition of a majority stake in Cairn India
- Satyam Computer Services Limited in its US$578 million sale of a controlling stake through a competitive bid to Tech Mahindra Limited