A leading international arbitration Queen’s Counsel, Philip Clifford QC helps clients from around the world to navigate their most complex disputes.
Drawing on nearly three decades of experience, Mr. Clifford QC helps clients resolve disputes effectively and efficiently. His successful track record representing a broad range of clients (from private and public corporations and shareholders to government-owned entities and states), spans a number of sectors, including oil and gas, construction, energy, and telecommunications.
Mr. Clifford QC offers clients the dual perspectives of a leading counsel and an arbitrator at the heart of the international arbitration community. He is a long-term Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a UK representative on the ICC Commission on Arbitration, a co-author of a leading book on the LCIA Arbitration Rules, and a Consulting Editor for LexisNexis.
Mr. Clifford QC has served as Global Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins’ International Arbitration Practice, Chair of the London Litigation & Trial Department, London Anti-Money Laundering Reporting Officer, Compliance Officer for Legal Practice, and Compliance Officer for Finance and Administration.
“One of the best in the profession”
“Renowned for energy cases”
The Legal 500 Hall of Fame 2020
- “A very sophisticated and incredibly knowledgeable QC”
“Excellent at cross-examining witnesses”
“A pleasure to work with and extremely adept at resolving cross-border disputes”
- “Really impressive for the personal involvement and attention he gives to cases, the speed of his responses and the quality of his legal advice and work”
The Legal 500 EMEA
Mr. Clifford QC’s selected experience includes representing:
Oil and Gas
- Oil and gas majors and integrated energy companies in relation to disputes all along the value chain, from exploration and production to sales and the pricing of long term supplies of LNG
- For example, in 2019, obtained a substantial award for an oil major in relation to a dispute over a pipeline project in Africa
Owners and contractors regarding delay and disruption, extension of time, liquidated damages, termination, force majeure, variations, and other claims across a range of projects
- For example, in 2020, obtained one of the largest Awards ever made against Libya for a European construction and engineering company in relation to multiple project disputes
- Owners and contractors in relation to the construction and operation of power plants and the supply of energy
- For example, has represented various nuclear power companies in disputes relating to the construction and operation of nuclear facilities, the treatment of nuclear material, and decommissioning
Telecommunications companies in relation to disputes over the acquisition and disposal of companies, assets, and licenses
- For example, has handled multiple arbitration and court proceedings over the acquisition of stakes in mobile telecommunications companies in Eastern Europe
Buyers, sellers, and other interested parties in disputes over corporate acquisitions and disposals
- For example, represented a sovereign wealth fund in relation to disputes over the acquisition of a stake in a stock exchange, and represented the buyer of oil companies in an arbitration over leakage and breach of warranty claims
JV and Shareholder Disputes
Joint venture (JV) partners and shareholders in a range of disputes across a number of sectors, from aviation, transport, healthcare, and pharmaceuticals to banking and insurance