Karl Mah is a partner in the London office of Latham & Watkins and is Chair of the London Tax Department. He represents a broad range of corporate and financial clients on international and corporate tax matters.
He has particular expertise advising on the tax aspects of M&A, private equity deals, capital markets offerings, and finance transactions.
Mr. Mah received the prestigious Institute Medal and LexisNexis Prize by the Chartered Institute of Taxation for achieving the highest score in the country in the May 2008 Institute examinations, which are considered to be the 'gold standard' among tax professionals in the United Kingdom. He is a member of the Chartered Institute of Taxation.
Mr. Mah serves on the firm’s Training and Career Enhancement Committee. In addition, he is actively involved in the firm’s diversity initiatives and has previously served on the firm’s Mentoring and Knowledge Management Committees and as part of the London office’s Asian Lawyer and First Generation Professionals Affinity Groups.
Mr. Mah's transactions include advising:
- Mesoblast on the refinancing and expansion of a senior debt facility with Oaktree Capital
- Easybrain, a leading mobile game developer with a core focus on puzzle and logic games, in its acquisition by Embracer Group
- Platinum Equity on its US$1.3 billion acquisition of the European vacation rental business of Wyndham Worldwide, a provider of hospitality services
- Telenor ASA on its €2.8 billion disposal of CEE businesses to PPF Group
- BC Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board on the disposal of a majority stake in Suddenlink (enterprise deal value of approximately US$9.1 billion)
- ICU Medical on its US$1 billion cash and stock acquisition of Pfizer's global infusion therapy business
- The purchasers in connection with various auction acquisitions of the Nortel Networks businesses (total deal value US$1.174 billion)
- Findus on its £500 million disposal of its European frozen foods business to Nomad Foods
- Symantec Corporation on its US$695 million acquisition of MessageLabs Group
- The lender syndicate in connection with the financing of the US$20 billion Ichthys LNG project
- The mandated lead arrangers on the US$22 billion cross-border bank/bond acquisition financing of SFR
- The mandated lead arrangers in connection with the €6.4 billion refinancing of the indebtedness incurred in connection with China National Chemical Corporation’s acquisition of Pirelli
- The underwriters in connection with the US$25.6 billion IPO of Saudi Aramco
- TI Fluid Systems on its £1.3 billion IPO on the London Stock Exchange