Ian Conner, former Director of the Bureau of Competition at the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC), advises multinational companies in antitrust and competition matters, including merger control, government investigations, and class action litigation.
Mr. Conner brings a unique skillset and knowledge base to his clients. He draws on his nearly two decades of experience, having worked at both the FTC and the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice (DOJ) and in private practice, to develop innovative legal approaches to address complex antitrust issues. He has significant experience in the pharmaceutical, technology, oil and gas, retail services, telecommunications, transportation, and healthcare industries.
Mr. Conner served as the Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition from 2019-2021, and as Deputy Director from 2017-2019. As Director, he oversaw nearly 300 lawyers and staff in bringing merger and civil non-merger enforcement matters during the most active enforcement fiscal year since 2000. During his tenure, the FTC issued the Vertical Merger Guidelines in conjunction with the DOJ, and initiated a proposed rulemaking and reexamination of the Hart-Scott-Rodino Act (HSR) rules.
Mr. Conner began his career as a Trial Attorney in the Antitrust Division of the DOJ, which he joined through the Attorney General’s Honors Program. He also served as a Special Assistant US Attorney for the Eastern District of Virginia, where he first-chaired trials in federal court.
He has held various leadership positions within the ABA Section of Antitrust Law, including as the Vice Chair of the Mergers & Acquisitions Committee (2017-2019), Vice Chair of the Civil Practice and Procedure Committee (2014-2017), and Founder and Co-Chair (2010-2012) and Chair (2012-2014) of the Agriculture & Food Committee.
Mr. Conner was an adjunct professor at William & Mary School of Law, where he taught the “Antitrust & Mergers” course from 2008 to 2010.
Mr. Conner advises on all aspects of antitrust law. Select matters in private practice include representing:
- Teva Pharmaceuticals in its US$40.5 billion acquisition of the generics business of Allergan, which received the 2017 Global Competition Review award for Merger Control Matter of the Year – Americas*
- Nexstar Broadcasting Group, Inc. in its US$4.6 billion acquisition of Media General, Inc.*
- Boehringer Ingelheim and Roxane Laboratories Inc., in the US$2.65 billion sale of Roxane Laboratories to Hikma Pharmaceuticals PLC*
- Leap Wireless and Cricket Communications, in its US$4 billion acquisition by AT&T*
- Micro Focus in its US$1.2 billion acquisition of Attachmate*
- Third parties in DOJ challenges to the proposed Anthem/Cigna and Aetna/Humana mergers*
- Third party in FTC’s challenge of proposed merger between Advocate and NorthShore hospital systems*
- ABB Optical Group in multi-district antitrust class action alleging Sherman Act and state law violations*
- Wyndham Worldwide Corporation in multi-district antitrust class action alleging Sherman Act violations*
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association in multi-district antitrust class action challenging the Blue System's exclusive geographic licensing system under the antitrust laws*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham
- Panelist, “Private Equity in the Merger Review Spotlight,” New York State Bar Antitrust Law Section Annual Meeting 2021 (January 2021)
- Panelist, TPI Aspen Forum, Technology Policy Institute (October 2020)
- Speaker, Closing Remarks, Data to Go: An FTC Workshop on Data Portability, Federal Trade Commission (September 2020)
- Panelist, A Conversation with the US FTC and DG Competition, GCR Interactive Antitrust in the Digital Economy (September 2020)
- Interview, Competition Policy International (August 2020)
- Panelist, Agency Update With the FTC Bureau Directors, ABA Antitrust Section Spring Meeting (April 2020)
- Keynote, “Fixer Upper: Using the FTC’s Remedial Toolbox to Restore Competition,” GCR Live 9th Annual Antitrust Law Leaders Forum (February 2020)
- Panelist, Georgetown University Law Center 13th Annual Global Antitrust Enforcement Symposium (September 2019)
- Panelist, ABA Health Law Section’s Conference on Emerging Issues in Healthcare Law (March 2019)
- Panelist, “View from the FTC,” ABA Antitrust Masters Course IX (October 2018)
- Moderator, “Understanding Exclusionary Conduct in Cases Involving Multi-Sided Platforms: Predatory Pricing, Vertical Restraints, and MFNs,” Federal Trade Commission Hearing #3 on Competition and Consumer Protection in the 21st Century (October 2018)
- Panelist, “Should the New Titans be Tamed?” 6th Bill Kovacic Antitrust Salon: Where is Antitrust Policy Going? (September 2018)
- Panelist, Seoul International Competition Forum (September 2018)
- Panelist, “View from the Enforcers,” ABA/AHLA Antitrust in Healthcare Conference (May 2018)
- Panelist, “IP Licensing and Antitrust Guidelines - View from Different Jurisdictions,” USC Gould School of Law Center for Transnational Law and Business Conference on Competition Policy, Tech and IP (November 2017)