Fiona Maclean advises a diverse range of clients across industries on data privacy compliance and IT and business processing transactions, with a particular focus on cloud computing and data strategy.
Ms. Maclean brings a unique cross-section of knowledge and experience spanning data, technology, and commercial contracts to help clients navigate complex, multi-jurisdictional transactions within the broader framework of data privacy laws. She advises a broad base of clients ranging from start-ups to technology giants and leading financial institutions. Her work at the nexus of the commercial and data worlds includes advising on operational resiliency risks and regulatory requirements including some of the most transformational cloud deals in the global market.
Ms. Maclean writes extensively on technology and privacy law for prominent industry organizations, including the World Economic Forum, the Association for Financial Markets in Europe (AFME), and the Association of Foreign Banks.
- Ranked – Up and Coming for Outsourcing
Chambers UK 2021
- Ranked – Next Generation Partner for IT and Telecoms; Key Lawyer for Fintech and Protection, Privacy, and Cybersecurity
The Legal 500 UK 2021
- Ranked – Next Generation Partner for Commercial Contracts
The Legal 500 UK 2020
- Rising Star Award – Fintech
- "A name to note for cloud outsourcing and data privacy"
The Legal 500 UK 2021
Ms. Maclean's representative matters include advising:
- A leading global investment management firm on a transformational migration of its investment management platform to the cloud, including drafting and negotiating the definitive agreements governing the cloud services and associated licensing, support, and professional services; this project involved parallel negotiations with both Microsoft and AWS
- A global financial services client on its cloud negotiations and multijurisdictional compliance with data and security laws with Google Cloud
- A confidential FMCG company in relation to the outsourcing of its infrastructure services and subsequent migration to IBM's Hybrid Cloud
- A highly confidential government entity in relation to the procurement of both professional services and Azure cloud services from Microsoft
Commercial Contracts and Outsourcing
- A financial services company in relation to its investment and collaborative venture with Privé to develop a first-of-its kind multi-jurisdictional wealth management platform
- Tradeweb Markets in the drafting and negotiation of a global Benchmark Administration Agreement and Master Outsourcing Agreement
- OpenX, a programmatic advertising technology company, in relation to an innovative outsourcing collaboration with Google Cloud Platform
- Facebook in relation to the company’s global data privacy matters, including advising on its regulatory response to the investigation of alleged data breaches
- A leading investment bank on key data privacy and regulatory issues in respect of its initiative to develop an alternative data business through strategic partnerships with Fortune 500 companies that enabled the client to create derived data sets and insights
- A publicly listed Chinese technology and internet company on global privacy compliance for its cross-border products including in the social media, gaming, cloud, and advertising space
- A global online luxury fashion retail platform on data protection issues associated with the acquisition of and collaboration with a Chinese e-commerce platform
- A leading provider of distributed ledger technology in its negotiations for the implementation of a post-trade market infrastructure platform utilizing blockchain
- Multiple companies on all aspects of their involvement in a flagship global digital currency initiative
- A global provider of digital and automated workflows for capital markets on the development of its platform for tokenized equity that uses blockchain technology
- A consortium of 16 banks in relation to the development and implementation of a new exchange for the sharing of information between manufacturers and distributors of financial instruments for the purposes of compliance with the MiFID II product governance rules