BJ Trach, a partner in Latham’s Litigation & Trial Department and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, represents companies and individuals facing a variety of complex commercial matters, as well as white collar defense and government investigations.
Mr. Trach has successfully defended organizations across a range of industries, including healthcare, life sciences, technology, and retail, against high-stakes claims brought by shareholders, customers, and community stakeholders. He also represents companies and individuals regarding criminal and civil investigations, brought by various government entities, such as the Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and state attorneys general.
He regularly advises clients on:
- Consumer class actions
- Criminal and civil government investigations
- Internal investigations
- Mass torts
- Product liability class actions and claims
- Securities fraud allegations
- Shareholder derivative suits
Numerous legal publications and organizations have recognized Mr. Trach for his distinctive achievements in the legal field. His honors include being selected among the Power 50 by Boston Business Journal, Future Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 40 Under 40 Nation’s Best Advocates by the National Bar Association, and as a Boston Rising Star by the National Law Journal.
Mr. Trach draws on his experience as a former Assistant US Attorney for the District of Massachusetts to help clients navigate their highest-profile investigations and enforcement proceedings. During his tenure, he conducted more than a dozen separate investigations, resulting in the indictment of more than 30 defendants on charges including drug-trafficking conspiracy, money laundering, and identity theft. Mr. Trach successfully tried numerous cases, including securing the conviction of a defendant charged with attempting to hire a hit man to murder several witnesses against him in a separate federal fraud case.
Mr. Trach also previously served as a member of the Massachusetts Ethics Commission (to which he was appointed by Governor Patrick), as a member of the Criminal Justice Act Panel for the District of Massachusetts, as a member of the Board of Directors of the Massachusetts Black Lawyers Association, and as Global Chair of Latham’s Diversity Leadership Committee.
Mr. Trach’s experience includes representing:
- General Electric in connection with multiple pending federal securities fraud suits
- LogMeIn, in connection with multiple consumer class actions in state and federal court; secured dismissal of claims in multiple cases in both state and federal court
- ZipCar in connection with a shareholder derivative suit that threatened its US$500 million sale to Avis; secured a favorable global settlement allowing the transaction to close
- HCA Inc., the largest for-profit hospital chain in the United States, in an adversary proceeding related to the largest-ever transfer of non-profit hospital assets to a for-profit entity in the US; secured favorable rulings and settlement agreement resulting in the dismissal of all claims
- Philip Morris USA Inc. in connection with various individual and class action products liability cases related to smoking and health; secured dismissals of claims on motion practice and at trial