Axel Schiemann is a financial regulatory partner who advises German and global clients on a full spectrum of domestic and cross-border regulatory issues and transactions in the financial sector. He is a member of the firm’s Financial Institutions Group.
Mr. Schiemann regularly advises on:
- Prudential supervision of banks and investment firms (including CRR/CRDIV)
- Securities related compliance (including MAR, MiFID/MiFID II)
- Mergers and acquisitions in the financial industry
- Issuance of regulatory capital instruments
- Litigation in the financial sector
- Regulatory enforcement and investigations
- Bank recovery and resolution
- Corporate governance and remuneration systems
- Fintech and ICOs
- Brexit-related issues
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Schiemann served in different in-house roles in the financial industry.
Mr. Schiemann frequently writes and speaks on financial regulatory issues. For example, he is co-author of a commentary on Securities Compliance (Wertpapier-Compliance in der Praxis) and a commentary on the German Supervisory Act on Payment Services (ZAG - Kommentar zum Zahlungsdiensteaufsichtsgesetz).