Ana O’Brien is a partner in the Los Angeles office of Latham & Watkins and Global Co-Chair of the REIT Industry Group and Chair of the Los Angeles office’s Tax Department. Her practice focuses primarily on the federal taxation of corporations, partnerships, and REITs in a variety of US and international contexts.
Ms. O’Brien advises clients on tax issues associated with:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Securities offerings
- Financing transactions
- Joint ventures
Ms. O’Brien regularly speaks on tax issues related to real estate investment trusts (REITs) and other tax matters. She also serves on the firm’s Women Enriching Business (WEB) and Pro Bono committees.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Ms. O'Brien has in recent years represented:
- Digital Realty Trust in its US$7.6 billion acquisition of Dupont Fabros Technology
- Digital Realty Trust in its US$874 million acquisition of eight high-quality, carrier-neutral data centers in Europe from Equinix
- Special Committee of Apollo Residential Mortgage in its US$641 million merger with Apollo Commercial Real Estate Finance
- Digital Realty Trust in its US$1.89 billion acquisition of Telx
- CoreCivic (f/k/a Corrections Corporation of America) in its US$157.5 million acquisition of Avalon Correctional Services, Inc.
- Hudson Pacific in its acquisition of a US$3.7 billion portfolio from The Blackstone Group
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II (special committee) in its US$4 billion sale to NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.
- BRE Properties in its US$15.4 billion merger of equals with Essex Property Trust
- Realty Income Corporation in its US$2.95 billion acquisition of American Realty Capital Trust
- Spirit Realty Capital in its US$7.4 billion merger with Cole Credit Property Trust II
- MPG Office Trust in its US$2.3 billion merger with an affiliate of Brookfield
- Digital Realty Trust in its US$369 million joint venture with Prudential Real Estate Investors and its US$187.6 million joint venture with Griffin Capital Essential Asset REIT
In the capital markets area, Ms. O’Brien has represented numerous issuers and investment banks, including:
- American Assets Trust
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch
- Digital Realty Trust
- Hudson Pacific Properties
- JP Morgan
- Kilroy Realty
- Morgan Stanley
- Realty Income Corporation
- Redwood Trust
- Spirit Realty Capital