Adrien Giraud is a partner in Latham & Watkins' Brussels and Paris offices and a member of the firm’s Global Antitrust & Competition Practice. He specializes in French and European competition law and has significant experience in merger control, behavioral antitrust matters (including damages claims), and state aid.
Mr. Giraud has represented French and international clients in complex EU and French merger cases and in some of the most significant antitrust investigations of recent years. His experience also encompasses civil antitrust damages litigation, an area in which he has represented clients in proceedings before the French courts. Furthermore, Mr. Giraud advises companies and public authorities on state aid compliance, and assists them with European Commission state aid investigations and related litigation before the European courts.
Mr. Giraud has particular experience advising clients active in the telecommunications, shipping energy, media, retail, and financial services sectors.
Mr. Giraud is also a member of the board of directors and general secretary of the Association des avocats pratiquant le droit de la concurrence.
- Adrien Giraud is recognized as a “National Leader” by Who’s Who Legal France Competition 2021
- Clients comment that Adrien Giraud is “efficient, constructive and pragmatic.” Chambers Europe 2021
- Named in various publications legal directories, including The Legal 500 EMEA 2020, Chambers Global 2019, and Best Lawyers for France Competition/Antitrust (2014-2018)
- Singled out in the Future Leaders analysis of Who’s Who Legal Competition 2018 and listed among the six “most highly regarded” partners in Europe
- “He is outstanding and has huge experience in the competition law space.”
“He is a very pragmatic lawyer who always delivers business-oriented advice.”
Who’s Who Legal Competition – Future Leaders 2018-2019
- “He provides tailor-made and practical advice and demonstrates a strong expertise in competition law proceedings.”
Chambers Global 2018
Mr. Giraud's experience includes advising:
- Co-counsel for Essilor in obtaining unconditional Phase II EC approval for its acquisition of Luxottica*
- Orange in obtaining Phase II EC approval for its €3.4 billion acquisition of Jazztel*
- CMA CGM in obtaining conditional Phase I clearance for its acquisition of NOL and its acquisition of OPDR*
- Gaz de France in its US$59 billion merger with Suez (conditional Phase II European Commission decision and several other national filings)*
- Eurotunnel in obtaining French merger clearance for the takeover of assets from SeaFrance*
Antitrust Investigations and Litigation
- CMA CGM in an EC investigation with respect to alleged anticompetitive practices on trades to/from Europe*
- Orange in the EC investigation in the field of connectivity*
- EDF in an antitrust investigation by the French Competition Authority in connection with solar energy*
- Crédit Mutuel-CIC in an antitrust procedure brought by the French Competition Authority regarding a multilateral commission on the handling of checks*
- Orange in several civil antitrust damages litigation before the Paris Commercial Court*
- France Télévisions in four consecutive court victories against privately-owned French broadcasters seeking to challenge subsidies granted to France Télévisions by the French State*
- Crédit Mutuel in European Court proceedings to obtain the annulment of a Commission decision ordering the reimbursement of more than €160 million of alleged state aid*
- The French state in several state aid cases related inter alia to energy and automotive markets*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham