Our history, spanning more than three decades, of working on the cutting edge of REIT transactions includes advising on groundbreaking deals that have helped define the market and the asset classes that qualify for inclusion in a REIT portfolio. Latham’s cross-practice approach helps our REIT clients stay ahead of rapid shifts in the business landscape as markets fluctuate, regulations change, technology advances, and asset classes evolve. Whether a client is preparing for an IPO, buying or selling a public or private REIT or a large strategic portfolio, negotiating a joint venture, or seeking a tax ruling with respect to a novel asset class or issue, Latham brings deep experience across the full spectrum of capabilities.
We help clients with:
- REIT formations and conversions, including through partnership roll-up transactions and corporate spin-offs
- REIT mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions
- Public offerings of securities, including IPOs, common and preferred stock, ATMs, as well as high yield and investment grade bonds; including convertible and exchangeable bonds
- Private placement and PIPE transactions
- Financing transactions, including secured and unsecured credit facilities, asset-level secured financing and securitizations
- Tax-deferred UPREIT and DOWNREIT contribution transactions
- Executive compensation and employment agreements as well as related compensatory arrangements
- Joint ventures and asset-level real estate transactions, including on behalf of real estate owners selling or contributing to REITs
- Investment fund structuring, acquisitions, and dispositions involving REITs
- Ongoing company representation and REIT compliance issues
Latham’s REIT team has deep experience across a wide range of asset classes, including office, industrial, triple-net lease, data center, retail, multifamily, single family, healthcare, gaming, hospitality, self-storage, infrastructure, manufactured housing, mortgages, and other debt securities.