Latham & Watkins was honored with five awards from LMG Life Sciences, which highlight the best in practice in the industry following a thorough survey of the life sciences sector. The awards are regarded as one of the industry’s top programs and Latham has been recognized every year since their inception in 2012. This honor builds upon the five EMEA LMG Life Sciences Awards the team earned earlier this year.
This year our healthcare and life sciences team was honored with the following:
- Impact Deal of the Year — Latham was honored for representing Prometheus Biosciences, a clinical-stage biotechnology company, in its US$10.8 billion acquisition by Merck. The award-winning deal was led by partners Daniel Rees, Matt Bush, and Cheston Larson.
- Patent Impact Case of Year — Latham achieved a significant win for our client Avadel, a specialty pharma company, in Jazz Pharmaceuticals v Avadel CNS Pharmaceuticals (CAFC 2023). The Federal Circuit — for the first time ever — affirmed a district court decision ordering a party to request that the FDA delist a patent from the Orange Book. The case was led by partners Kenneth Schuler and Marc Zubick.
- Post-Grant Proceedings Attorney of the Year — Global Vice Chair of the firm’s Healthcare & Life Sciences Industry Group, New York partner Arlene Lee Chow was recognized for her work representing an array of pharma/biotech clients in post-grant proceedings.
- General Patent Litigator of the Year: Midwest — A seasoned patent litigator, Chicago partner Kenneth Schuler was honored for his body of work, including co-leading the award-winning Patent Impact Case of the Year.
- Appellate Litigator of the Year: Intellectual Property — Head of the firm’s IP appellate practice, Washington, D.C. partner Gabriel Bell was recognized for his work for client Avadel on a precedent-setting appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit arising from Avadel’s ongoing patent litigation defense and antitrust counterclaims against Jazz Pharmaceuticals.
Latham and its attorneys were also on the shortlist in a number of other categories, including: Life Cycle Firm of the Year, Corporate Firm of the Year, M&A Firm of the Year, General Patent Litigation Firm of the Year, Corporate Attorney of the Year — Cheston Larson, M&A Attorney of the Year — Scott Shean, Licensing & Collaboration Attorney of the Year — Judith Hasko, and General Patent Litigator of the Year — DC Metro — Mike Morin.
LMG Life Sciences is the definitive guide to leading North American law firms and lawyers specialized in the life sciences industry. In the US, it focuses its surveys on four main practice areas: Regulatory; Intellectual Property; Financial & Corporate; and Non-IP Litigation & Enforcement. The LMG Life Sciences Awards are determined through rigorous research including firm submissions, practitioner surveys, client feedback, and independent research.