With a deep bench of lawyers experienced in professional liability matters, particularly accountants’ liability litigation, Latham is a leader in the field. Latham lawyers have represented the major accounting firms, and their predecessors and affiliates, in hundreds of matters in every type of venue and proceeding, including:
- Bankruptcy litigation and assistance with accounting firms’ bankruptcy retentions
- Criminal matters
- Peer review processes related to specific engagements
- Professional liability litigation
- Section 10A matters and oversight of audit clients’ internal investigations
- Securities class actions
- State board of accountancy matters
- Tax advisory services
- US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) investigations
In addition to its domestic representations of all the major US accounting firms, Latham frequently represents the firms in non-US proceedings, and also represents various international accounting organizations in both US and global matters.
Recognizing Latham’s sophistication on professional liability matters, the major accounting firms and individual accountants have turned to Latham for the highest-profile matters, including before the US Supreme Court. Latham is one of the few firms that has won a defense verdict in a rare jury trial of a major securities fraud civil case, on claims asserted against one of the Big 4 accounting firms.