Dr. Tobias Klass is a partner in the Hamburg office. He represents major and medium-sized German and international corporations and funds in domestic and cross-border transactions. Mr. Klass focuses his practice on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions and on international tax structuring. His areas of expertise include restructurings and, in particular for real estate investors, complex tax structures for inbound private equity sponsors, as well as real estate investment funds with a focus on cross-border transactions for international clients.
Mr. Klass is a certified tax lawyer and frequently lectures on current corporate and international tax issues. In addition, he is the author of many articles on corporate and international taxation published in national and international legal magazines.
Mr. Klass is a member of the Hamburg Bar Association, the Hamburg Chamber of Certified Tax Advisors, and the International Fiscal Association.
Mr. Klass’ experience includes advising:
- AREA Property Parties (formerly Apollo Real Estate Advisors) in the structuring, financing, and acquisition of investments in a number of (real estate and developer) companies in Germany and the acquisition of real estate portfolios
- Capvis Equity Partners in relation to the structuring, financing, and acquisition of various mid-sized leveraged buyouts
- Even Capital on the structuring and the acquisition of nursing home portfolios in Germany
- H.I.G. Capital on the restructuring, the enforcement of share pledges over the group holding and the implementation of a debt-to-equity strategy for the acquisition of Walter Services group
- J.P. Morgan Chase Bank on its acquisition of automotive supplier Hilite International from Hilite Industries via Hilite Holdco Corporation by way of an out-of-court restructuring
- Mediq N.V., an international supplier of medical devices and pharmaceuticals, on the acquisition of the German assist GmbH and its subsidiaries
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund and Redos Real Estate GmbH on the acquisition and the financing of a number of real estate portfolios in Germany
- Senior agents in the US / UK / German cross-border restructuring of Global Safety Textiles Group
- Senior lender steering committee in the restructuring and insolvency of Honsel Group
- Senior lenders steering committee in the restructuring of Neumayer Tekfor Group