Prof. Dr. Thomas Grützner is a compliance and litigation partner in the firm’s Munich office. He advises corporate and financial institution clients on a variety of complex compliance and white collar crime matters.
Dr. Grützner has particular experience leading internal investigations, representing clients before government enforcement agencies, developing and implementing compliance management systems and risk mitigation measures, and conducting compliance due diligences in connection with M&A transactions.
Dr. Grützner is a visiting professor at Free University of Berlin and a visiting lecturer for white collar crime.
JUVE recommends him for Compliance/Investigations and Handelsblatt Best Lawyers lists him among the best lawyers in Germany for dispute resolution.
He is a member of the ICC task force “Addressing Issues of Corruption in International Arbitration.”
Thought Leadership (selection)
- Co-editor “Wirtschafts- und Steuerstrafrecht - Handbuch für die Unternehmenspraxis,“ 2nd edition, 2019 (scheduled)
- Co-editor “Compliance and Governance from A-Z,” 2nd edition, C.H. Beck, 2017
- Co-editor “Corporate Internal Investigations - Systematic Overview of 13 Jurisdictions,” C.H. Beck Hart, 2013
- Co-editor “Anti-Bribery Risk Assessment: A Systematic Overview of 151 countries,” C.H. Beck Hart, 2010
- Co-author “§ 299 StGB - Neue und ungelöste Probleme nach Schaffung des Geschäftsherrenmodells,“ Zeitschrift für Internationale Strafrechtsdogmatik 2018, S. 299-316
- Co-author “‘Die Dieselaffäre‘ und ihre Folgen für Compliance-Management-Systeme - Evolution durch Einbeziehung des Bereichs Produkt-Compliance in ein CMS (z.B. zum Zweck der Prävention produktbezogener Täuschungen),“ Corporate Compliance Zeitschrift 2018, S. S. 50-63
- Co-author “Gesetzliche Regelung unternehmensinterner Untersuchungen - Gewinn an Rechtsstaatlichkeit oder unnötige Komplikation?" Corporate Compliance Zeitschrift 2017, S. 242-253
- Co-author “Kopplungsgeschäfte und Korruption (§ 299 StGB),“ Corporate Compliance Zeitschrift 2017, S. 155-163
- Author “Neues aus der Korruptionsbekämpfung - oder doch nicht?,“ Corporate Compliance Zeitschrift 2016, S. 1
- Author “Das Gesetz zur Bekämpfung der Korruption 2015 - Wesentliche Inhalte und Änderungen der Rechtslage,“ ZIP 2016, S.1 ff.
- Author "Unternehmensstrafrecht vs. Ordnungswidrigkeitenrecht," Corporate Compliance Zeitschrift 2015, S. 68-75
Dr. Grützner's previous transactional experience includes:
- Leading internal investigations into more than 20 projects of the defense industry (DAX Unternehmen) after public corruption allegations; coordination of communication with multiple (domestic and international) enforcement agencies*
- Co-lead of internal investigation in the manufacturing industry in connection with allegations of co-financing terrorist groups; coordination of communication with multiple (domestic and international) enforcement agencies*
- Leading multiple internal investigations for DAX companies and coordination of communication with multiple (domestic and international) enforcement agencies (e.g., DOJ/SEC); including in the transportation, manufacturing, pharmaceutical, insurance, and automotive industries*
- Leading internal investigation into a joint venture of two DAX companies in connection with allegations concerning fraudulent behavior to the detriment of the Federal Republic of Germany*
- Leading internal investigation for a DAX company of the automotive industry in connection with one of the largest fake CEO fraud cases; coordination of communication with multiple (domestic and international) enforcement agencies (including asset tracing)*
- Crisis management for a DAX company in connection with one of the largest recent transportation accidents*
- Leading a vendor compliance due diligence of a IT services and solutions business unit (with business in more than 40 countries) of a DAX company in the aftermath of a DOJ/SEC investigation*
- Leading multiple large scale projects in connection with DOJ/SEC investigations (e.g., business partner screening of more than 3,000 business partners, legal analysis of more than 850 consultant agreements and organization of legal defense, analysis of the anti-corruption laws of 180 jurisdictions, and gap analysis of compliance organizations)*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham