Stuart Davis is an associate in the Financial Institutions Industry Group in the firm’s London Office. Mr. Davis has a wide range of experience advising broker-dealers, investment, retail and private banks, technology companies, market infrastructure providers, investment managers, hedge funds and private equity funds on complex regulatory challenges.
Mr. Davis has considerable experience advising clients on the domestic and cross-border regulatory aspects of cutting edge FinTech initiatives, including technology innovations in market infrastructure, trading, clearing and settlement, lending (including crowd-funding), payments and regulatory surveillance. Recently, Mr. Davis has advised a number of financial institutions on the impact of MAR and MiFID II on their businesses, and has been heavily involved with assisting institutions on their FX remediation projects, market conduct issues, best execution compliance, CASS compliance, systems and controls, governance, regulatory reform and the implications of Brexit for financial institutions.
Mr. Davis has also advised many clients on the regulatory issues arising from significant investments in the financial services sector, including assisting with the regulatory approval process.
Mr. Davis’ recent highlights have included advising:
- A consortium of leading financial institutions on their innovative blockchain settlement project*
- A major financial market infrastructure provider on implications and opportunities of blockchain for its business*
- A startup on the regulatory implications of developing a blockchain-based securities settlement system and on its successful application to the FCA’s Innovation Hub*
- A major CCP on the compatibility of its clearing structure with the FCA rules, including CASS and EMIR*
- A technology company on its innovative best execution compliance tool under the new MiFID II framework*
- A leading global investment bank with drafting its internal policies on blockchain and Bitcoin*
- A peer-to-peer lending platform on technical aspects of its application to the FCA for Part IV permissions*
- A broad range of clients on their implementation of post-financial crisis regulatory reform measures, including MiFID II, MAR, EMIR, CASS, AIFMD, Benchmark Regulation, consumer credit, payments and mortgage reform*
- A number of international banks and broker-dealers on the impact of Brexit on their businesses and developing contingency plans for the potential restructuring of their EU operations*
- A leading investment bank on its implementation of the PS14/9 changes to the CASS rules*
- The group of banks and credit card issuers behind the CPP consumer redress scheme under section 404F(7) of FSMA for mis-sold insurance products. This was the largest consumer redress scheme of its kind involving over 7 million customers*
- A leading private bank on redrafting and simplifying its suite of secured and unsecured wholesale and retail lending documentation, including a complex cross-currency lombard facility*
*Deal completed prior to joining Latham