Simon Cooke is a partner in the Corporate Department of Latham & Watkins’ Hong Kong office and the Global Co-Chair of the firm’s Private Equity Practice. Based in Hong Kong since early 2009, Mr. Cooke is an M&A lawyer specializing in public and private M&A and corporate finance with a focus on pan-Asia private equity transactions.
Mr. Cooke regularly advises Asian and international private equity clients on a broad range of domestic and cross-border buy-outs, growth capital, pre-IPO, PIPE, and other private equity transactions. He also advises a range of clients on general private company and cross-border M&A and corporate finance transactions.
Mr. Cooke‘s recent experience includes advising:
- Partners Group on its acquisition of SPi Global, a Philippines-based provider of outsourced services to education, science, technical, and medical research publishers
- Carlyle Asia Partners on the sale of its controlling stake in Crystal Orange Hotel Holdings, a boutique hotel operator in China
- Macquarie Corporate Holdings on the acquisition by a consortium comprising China Resources and Macquarie of GenesisCare, an Australia-based operator of cancer and cardiovascular care centers
- IK Investment Partners on its disposal of global offshore incorporations and trust and management services operator Vistra Group to Baring Private Equity Asia*
- Hong Kong-listed Sun Hung Kai & Co. Ltd. on the disposal for US$528 million of 70% of Sun Hung Kai Financial, one of the largest Hong Kong-based brokerage and wealth management service providers, to Everbright Securities*
- Carlyle Asia Partners on its acquisition from General Electric for US$483 million of a 36.8% indirect stake in Hong Kong-listed satellite operator Asia Satellite Telecommunications Holdings Limited (AsiaSat) and the resulting mandatory general offer for the 25.6% of shares in AsiaSat held by the public which valued AsiaSat at US$1.312 billion*
- Kerogen Capital on its US$100 million investment in HKN Energy, which holds a controlling interest in the Sarsang Oil exploration block in the Kurdistan region in Iraq*
- DBS Bank on the Hong Kong and Dubai aspects of its acquisition of Societe Generale's Asian private banking business*
- Carlyle Asia Partners on its acquisition for US$1.93 billion of the ADT Security business in Korea from Tyco*
- Partners Group on its leveraged buyout of Trimco International from Navis Capital and its subsequent bolt-on acquisitions in Bangladesh and Denmark*
- MBK Partners on its disposal of Gala TV Corp. in Taiwan to EQT Partners*
* Matter handled prior to joining Latham & Watkins