Shayne Kennedy is the Managing Partner of Latham & Watkins' Orange County office, the former Global Co-Chair of the firm's Capital Markets Practice, and a former member of the firm's Associates Committee. His practice focuses on capital markets, with a particular emphasis on public and private securities offerings for issuers and underwriters in a range of industries, including life sciences, technology, and retail and consumer products.
Mr. Kennedy was recognized in The Legal 500 2013 – Capital Markets: Debt Offerings for his representation of Banc of America Securities in connection with a multi-tranche senior notes offering by Gilead Sciences, and is frequently ranked by Chambers USA – California for Capital Markets: Debt & Equity.
He also represents various public and private companies in general corporate and securities matters, including corporate governance, public company reporting, and stock exchange rules and requirements.
Mr. Kennedy is a member of the American Bar Association and is actively involved in a variety of charitable and church-related activities.
Mr. Kennedy's issuer-side representations include advising:
- Guardant Health, Inc. in its initial public offering
- Switch, Inc. in its initial public offering
- Inspire Medical Systems in its initial public offering and subsequent public offering
- Seres Therapeutics in its initial public offering
- Entellus Medical in its initial public offering and subsequent public offering
- Radius Health in its initial public offering
- Puma Biotechnology in its initial public offering and several subsequent public offerings
- BIND Therapeutics in its initial public offering
- Aratana Therapeutics in its initial public offering
- Skullcandy in its initial public offering
- Puma Biotechnology in its private placement and concurrent reverse merger into a public shell corporation
Most recently, Mr. Kennedy’s underwriter side representations include:
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch and JP Morgan in connection with the IPO of Avedro
- Citigroup and SVB Leerink in connection with the IPO of Harpoon Therapeutics
- Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan in connection with the IPO of Allogene Therapeutics
- JP Morgan and Cowen in connection with the IPO of Twist Bioscience
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch in connection with the IPO of Principia Biopharma
- Jefferies in connection with the IPO of Kezar Life Sciences
- Piper Jaffray in connection with the IPO of Neuronetics
- J.P. Morgan in connection with the IPO of Urovant Sciences
- Other representative IPOs in which Mr. Kennedy has represented the underwriters include Corium International, Intersect, Juno Therapeutics, Kindred Biosciences, LDR Holdings, Ultragenyx, Tornier, Sientra, Invuity, Glaukos, Cellectis, Fluidigm, Obalon Therapeutics, and Fulgent Genetics
Mr. Kennedy's extensive capital markets experience also includes the representation of both underwriters and issuers in public and private offerings for Allergan, Amarin, American Medical Systems Holdings, Array Biopharma, Dyax, BioMarin, Ceradyne, Dexcom, Gilead Sciences, Green Plains Renewable Energy, Kaiser Aluminum, Mako Surgical, Mannkind, Medivation, MSC Software, MyoKardia, Neurogen, Oclaro, Radius Health, ResMed, Resources Connection, Seattle Genetics, UniLife, VNUS Medical Technologies, Volcano, Volcom, Wright Medical, YM Biosciences, and ZIOPHARM Oncology. His underwriting clients include Citigroup, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank Securities, Jefferies & Company, J.P. Morgan, BofA Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Piper Jaffray, Roth Capital Partners, and Stifel.
Mr. Kennedy continues to provide outside corporate counsel to various public and private companies including Puma Biotechnology, Guardant Health, Inspire Medical, Obalon Therapeutics, Hart, Novo A/S, and ResMed.