Robin Hulshizer is a member of the firm's Litigation & Trial and Environmental, Land & Resources Departments. Ms. Hulshizer is a trial lawyer with over 25 years of experience litigating complex commercial and environmental matters. Her experience is multi-disciplinary, including toxic torts, product liability, consumer fraud, business contract, insurance coverage, and securities litigation. She has represented clients across various sectors such as manufacturing, oil and gas, consumer products, energy, and industrial hygiene. Ms. Hulshizer currently serves as Local Chair of the Chicago Environmental, Land & Resources Department, and as a member of the firm's Diversity Leadership Committee.
In the environmental arena, Ms. Hulshizer's experience has spanned every major environmental statute and includes not only litigation but regulatory work, investigation/enforcement actions, and counseling in connection with financial transactions. In addition to her representation of clients in litigation arising out of mobile emissions, toxic tort, and the Superfund/cost recovery arena, her experience includes explosion cases, citizen suits, private cost recovery actions, and claims brought by or against federal and state governments. Ms. Hulshizer has also worked on variances and penalty actions for a variety of clients.
In the business disputes forum, Ms. Hulshizer has extensive trial and court experience, representing various companies in high-stakes commercial litigation, as well as before governmental agencies including the SEC and EPA. She also has served as counsel in numerous complex, multiparty cases as well as class actions and multi-district litigations, in various federal and state courts around the country.
Ms. Hulshizer’s representative experience includes:
- Defense of Navistar International Corp. and its former CEO in connection with SEC investigations, securities lawsuits, and derivative actions arising out of alleged misstatements regarding its mobile source emission strategy, including analysis of engine certification applications, testing requirements, and diesel engine programs
- Defending client in multiple state actions, as well as a multi-district litigation and Canadian class actions, alleging emissions-related defects in big bore diesel engines
- Defended various multi-plaintiff actions related to alleged exposure to hazardous substances whether by air, soil, or groundwater, such as claims brought by 1600 commercial fisherman against Occidental Chemical and chemical plant explosions — one involving a 20,000-plaintiff personal injury class action suit
- Two-week contractual indemnification hearing regarding HSWA environmental cleanup exposure at the fourth largest refinery in the US
- Four-week trial in Louisville, Kentucky, establishing takings value of property allegedly contaminated
- Five-week trial concerning Robinson Pattman Act claims in Northern District of Illinois
- Two-week trademark infringement and unfair competition trial also in Northern District of Illinois
- One-week insurance defense action in the Central District of California
- Defense of high profile litigation pending in seven forums relating to a company’s near US$1 billion restatement, resulting SEC accounting and financial reporting investigation, SOX complaint, and other related litigation
- Defense of International Truck and Engine and other defendants in a US$260 million breach of contract action filed in state court, as well as related actions filed in various federal courts concerning patents at issue