Oliver Middleton is a partner in the London office and a member of the Litigation & Trial Department. His practice covers commercial litigation and arbitration, with a particular focus on complex, high-profile commercial disputes including corporate and shareholder disputes, financial disputes, and intellectual property litigation.
Mr. Middleton has experience across a wide range of different commercial litigation matters, covering complex contractual claims, breaches of confidence, shareholder actions, trust litigation, financial litigation, claims for economic torts, defamation, and intellectual property litigation. In recent years, he has represented clients in the banking and financial services, media, technology, and retail industries.
Mr. Middleton is recognized in Legal 500 as a recommended litigator within the Commercial Litigation category and previously acted in the RBS Rights Issue Litigation, one of the largest cases before the English Courts.
Mr. Middleton’s experience includes:
- Advising Barclays in claims in the High Court and the Competition Appeal Tribunal, regarding allegations of conspiring to rig the foreign exchange market. More than 190 investors are seeking damages for the banks' alleged manipulation of global forex markets.
- Acting on data privacy investigations for numerous clients, including Facebook.
- Acting for Legal & General, Standard Life, The Prudential, Aviva, and USS in their claims against RBS arising out of the £12 billion rights issue of 2008, resulting in one of the largest claims ever to go before the English Courts. The case was under s.90 of FSMA and helped set the law dealing with the liability of issuers of securities.*
- Acting for an international conglomerate encompassing companies and investments in property in London and related trading entities across Africa, to also include acting for Rothschild as the Trustees of various trust holdings. Matters included proceedings in London as well as related proceedings in Guernsey, involving Beddoes applications and advice as to duties and role of trustees.*
- Advising various entities over potential recourse under FSMA adverse to the issuers of securities.*
- Acting for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (the Oscars) in relation to claims against infringers of its intellectual property.*
- Acting for INVISTA Textiles (UK) Limited regarding claims for breaches of confidence.*
- Acting for a representative noteholder in respect of the Gemini (Eclipse 2006-3) CMBS in relation to an important point of construction in the securities transaction documents.*
- Acting for a group of minority shareholders in one of the largest privately owned companies in the UK regarding unfair prejudice claims.*
- Acting for ITV on a large contractual broadcasting dispute with STV.*
- Advising News International in relation to civil claims brought against the News of the World regarding the voicemail interception scandal.*
- Acting for Titanium Resources Group Ltd on a multi-million pound insurance claim against its insurers regarding a mining accident.*
- Acting for a large software company in a confidential arbitration worth tens of millions of euros in which a judgment was obtained in the client’s favour in all respects.*
- Appointed as Judicial Assistant to Lord Justice Mummery in the Court of Appeal for two Court terms.*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham