Myria Saarinen is a partner in the Litigation & Trial Department of Latham & Watkins' Paris office. Her practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, data privacy, and compliance. She is the Global Co-Chair of the Technology Industry Group.
Ms. Saarinen's practice focuses on resolving a broad range of complex disputes through litigation proceedings, mostly in an international context and in various areas of business (healthcare, aeronautics, information technology, construction works, insurance, etc.). She is very active in litigation relating to major industrial operations and is involved in a broad range of general commercial disputes (contract and liability) and corporate litigation.
Ms. Saarinen has expertise on cross-border issues raised in connection with Discovery and similar requests in France. In addition, she has developed specific expertise, for 20 years now, in the privacy/personal data area, advising international clients. She supports her clients in their compliance program regarding the GDPR. She is also active in the corporate governance and compliance area and assists clients in drafting and implementing grant of powers, delegation of liability, and other compliance schemes.
Ms. Saarinen is also active in firm management, serving on Latham's Ethics and Privacy Committees. She is also the Money Laundering Reporting Officer (AML) - France for the firm.
Ms. Saarinen recent experience includes:
- Representation of an investment bank in connection with the liquidation of its multi-billion securities portfolio after the Lehman bankruptcy
- Representation of a global insurance company in a mass action (more than 30 actions) brought by policy insurance holders
- Representation of a leading provider of aircraft maintenance in obtaining the judicial attachment of an Airbus A340 belonging to the Republic of Libya
- Representation of a leading provider of smart card readers in a lawsuit for sudden breach of contractual relationship
- Representation of a supplier of medical technology and services following the termination of a public contract (civil and administrative courts)
- Representation of an investment bank in several lawsuits brought by former top traders claiming the payment of past bonuses invested in bonus plans and lost as the result of the subprime crisis
- Representation of two editors in a lawsuit brought by the heirs of a jewel designer from the 30’s to the 70’s, for alleged copyright infringement
- Advising a global spirits group in its GDPR compliance program at a European level and then in its subsidiaries at an international level
- Representation of a luggage company in a post M&A dispute (arbitration and judicial proceedings)
- Day-to-day assistance of a global pharmaceutical group on various aspects of data protection