Michelle Carpenter is a partner in the Tax Department of Latham & Watkins’ Los Angeles and Orange County offices. Ms. Carpenter advises clients on a broad range of compensation arrangements and benefit plans and in a variety of industries, with extensive experience working with public and private companies.
Ms. Carpenter focuses her practice on:
- Counseling on employee benefits and compensation aspects of mergers and acquisitions, financings, IPOs, spin-offs and other corporate transactions
- Structuring various types of executive compensation arrangements, including employment agreements, separation / severance agreements, equity compensation arrangements and deferred compensation programs
- Preparing executive compensation disclosures for proxy statements and other securities filings
- Counseling on tax, securities, ERISA and corporate law issues as they relate to executive compensation and employee benefits arrangements
Prior to joining the firm, Ms. Carpenter served as an extern for Judge Gary Allen Feess in the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Ms. Carpenter is fluent in Swedish.
Ms. Carpenter's recent representative experience includes:
- Receptos, Inc., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its US$7.2 billion sale to Celgene
- Gavis Pharmaceuticals, LLC and Novel Laboratories, Inc., two pharmaceutical companies, in their US$880 million sale to Lupin, Inc.
- Houlihan Lokey, Inc. in its US$253 million Initial Public Offering
- Integra LifeSciences in its US$265 million tax-free spin-off of SeaSpine Holdings, a spine fusion medical device company