Michael Haas, Global Co-Chair of the firm’s Real Estate Practice, represents private equity firms, real estate asset managers, and public and private real estate companies in sophisticated, market-defining transactions.
A widely recognized market leader in real estate private equity and finance, Mr. Haas helps clients successfully navigate their most complex deals in the United States and internationally. He brings broad experience across a range of asset classes, including multifamily housing, industrial and logistics facilities, senior housing, retail spaces, data centers, and office buildings.
Mr. Haas’ work includes:
- Mergers, acquisitions, and dispositions
- Joint ventures
- Workouts and restructurings, including in relation to distressed assets
Drawing on more than 25 years of experience, Mr. Haas delivers strategic and creative advice to clients. In particular, he leverages his in-depth market knowledge and vast network of connections to help clients achieve their business objectives.
Mr. Haas is regularly recognized as an accomplished practitioner in his field, including by The Legal 500 US and Chambers USA.
Mr. Haas plays an active leadership role in numerous community organizations and nonprofits. He currently serves on the board of the Basser Leadership Council for the Basser Center for BRCA at Penn Medicine’s Abramson Cancer Center. Mr. Haas is a recipient of the Tree of Life Award, the highest humanitarian award given by the Jewish National Fund, and has been honored by the Basser Center.
He is a current member of the International Council of Shopping Centers and the American Bar Association (Real Property Section).
Mr. Haas’ experience includes advising:
- Stonepeak Partners in the US$5.65 billion acquisition of The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas
- The Blackstone Group in several matters, including in connection with the:
- Acquisition of the remaining stake in Applegreen, an Ireland-based operator of a petrol forecourt retailer, for US$871 million
- Acquisition of two multifamily properties in Las Vegas, Nevada for US$115 million
- Joint venture with DDR, in connection with the sale of a retail shopping center in Kyle, Texas
- Acquisition of five multifamily housing facilities in the Dallas, Texas area
- Sale of a three building office campus totaling approximately 267,007 square feet at 1900/1950/2000 Alameda de las Pulgas in San Mateo, California
- AGC Equity Partners in its:
- Joint venture with Iron Mountain Incorporated to design and develop a 280,000 square foot, or 27 megawatt, hyperscale data center currently under development in Frankfurt, Germany
- Acquisition of five warehouses located in Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, and Tennessee
- Acquisition and refinancing of The Squaire at Frankfurt Airport, the largest German mixed-use project in 2019
- Brookfield Asset Management in its:
- Sale of a majority interest in four subsidiaries of Capital Automotive, an owner of auto dealership properties, to KKR for US$143 million
- Joint venture with Fundamental Income to create Fundamental Income Properties, a new net lease platform
- US$854.5 million acquisition of a portfolio of office and industrial sites
- Invitation Homes in its:
- Joint venture with Rockpoint Group to acquire single-family homes to operate as rental residences
- US$900 million term loan facility for SFR Javelin, a real estate investment trust (REIT)
- A sovereign wealth fund in its:
- Investment in an Austria-based company that owns and develops retail properties, amid the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Investment in an international owner and developer of retail properties
- Acquisition of a minority stake in a real estate owner and developer
- Garrison Investment Group and Miramar Capital Advisors in their assumption of fund and asset management roles and commitment to make loans for the repositioning of a portfolio of 15 office and hotel properties for US$400 million
- MC Real Estate Partners in an acquisition by a joint venture of a fully leased office building in Washington, D.C.’s East End submarket for US$106 million
- H.I.G. Realty Partners in an acquisition by a joint venture with Lincoln Equities Group of the life sciences campus in New Jersey
- StepStone Group in several matters, including the:
- Co-investment with KKR for the acquisition of a 49-property, 90%-occupied stabilized senior housing portfolio located throughout New England
- Platform joint venture with Ashland to purchase a 244-unit affordable housing property in Virginia
- Platform joint venture with Ashland to purchase membership interests in an entity that indirectly owns a 353-unit affordable housing property in New York
- Fund formation focused on special situations secondaries and recapitalizations of real estate vehicles
- Formation of a joint venture with Milhaus and the acquisition by such entity of five multifamily developments located in Indiana, Oklahoma and Tennessee
- Formation of an additional development joint venture with Milhaus for the acquisition of a multifamily development project located in Missouri and capital commitments for the acquisition of additional multifamily development projects
*Certain matters above were handled prior to joining Latham