Matthew Walch, a litigation partner in the Chicago office, represents clients in complex commercial and intellectual property related litigation.
Mr. Walch represents Fortune 500 companies and leading organizations in litigation related to:
- Complex commercial disputes
- Intellectual property
- Unfair competition
He draws on extensive experience litigating matters to successful resolution in federal and state courts and before US and international arbitration panels. He regularly resolves litigation through both interlocutory and dispositive motion practice as well as at trial.
Complementing his litigation work, Mr. Walch routinely counsels clients to develop strategies and processes to prevent litigation, especially in the areas of intellectual property, trade secrets and related employment issues
Mr. Walch has extensive experience managing trademark and copyright prosecution and licensing efforts throughout the world and negotiating with owners and collective management organizations regarding copyright and licensing matters.
Mr. Walch is admitted to practice in the US Supreme Court, US Court of Appeals for the Second and Seventh Circuits, and US District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois, Western District of Wisconsin, Eastern District of Michigan, and District of Colorado.
Mr. Walch frequently writes and speaks on IP and trademark issues.
Mr. Walch is a Past President of the Richard Linn American Inn of Court, an American Inn of Court consisting of over 160 Chicago-area judges, in-house and outside counsel, academics, and students focused on intellectual property law. He received the 2017 Linn Inn Alliance Distinguished Service Medal for his contributions to the American Inns of Court movement. Mr. Walch is also a member of the Intellectual Property section of the American Bar Association and the International Trademark Association.
As part of the firm’s commitment to the community, Mr. Walch regularly works with Lawyers for the Creative Arts, the Domestic Violence Legal Clinic of Chicago, and their clients on a pro bono basis. He also serves on the Board of Directors of Prevent Child Abuse America and Legal Aid Society.
Mr. Walch’s representative experience includes:
- ACS Carbon Solutions: Managed defense of trade secret misappropriation claims relating to the construction of an activated carbon production facility in a three-week arbitration hearing in Atlanta, Georgia
- Aon: Served as lead counsel in case involving breach of various non-solicitation contracts; negotiated substantially favorable settlement agreement for Aon resolving all claims
- Aon Hewitt:Served as lead counsel in trade secret misappropriation case; obtained expedited injunctive relief preserving client’s proprietary information
- Eddie Bauer: Served as lead defense counsel in trademark infringement case; secured favorable settlement resulting in dismissal of all claims
- Frazier Healthcare Ventures: Served as lead counsel in commercial contract arbitration; secured US$11 million final award for client
- General Electric: Managed defense of various litigation matters involving trademark and products liability issues
- Hyatt Hotels: Assisted on a broad range of intellectual property and complex litigation matters.
- Nissan Motor Co., Ltd. and Nissan North America: Served as lead counsel on trademark infringement matters in various federal district courts, including litigation in the Eastern District of Michigan pursuant to which Nissan secured favorable settlement against another global automobile manufacturer
- Orbitz, LLC: Obtained summary judgment in federal district court in Delaware dismissing all claims in case involving breach of technology license agreement
- Owens-Illinois Inc. and Affiliates: Obtained injunctive relief and final award of over US$31 million in international arbitration arising from joint venture dispute
- Pharma Logistics Ltd.: Served as lead counsel in successful defense of “bet the company” copyright infringement and trade secret misappropriation case
- ProQuest LLC: Acted as counsel in multi- defendant class action copyright infringement litigation; successfully obtained reversal of Second Circuit decision regarding class action settlement in the US Supreme Court
- SS&C Technologies: Handling the pursuit of trade secret misappropriation claims in Illinois and Connecticut state courts against former employees charged with taking and disseminating trade secrets to a competitor
- Steak ‘n Shake: Served as lead counsel in copyright infringement case in which federal district court in Illinois granted Rule 12 motion to dismiss copyright infringement claim relating to one of the client’s television ads
- United States Soccer Federation: Served as lead counsel in various trademark infringement and unfair competition matters; helped secure summary judgment for the Federation in its high-profile 2016