Mark Roeder is the Global Co-Chair of the Life Sciences Industry Group and previously was Co-Chair of the Corporate Department for the Silicon Valley office of Latham & Watkins.
Mr. Roeder has represented both public and private companies, venture capital firms, and investment banks. His transactional experience includes securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, and venture capital financings. Mr. Roeder's general company representation includes advising management and boards of directors regarding corporate governance matters, securities law compliance, formation, financing, assistance with business plans, employment matters, equity incentives, negotiation of credit facilities, and information technology license agreements. His venture capital practice consists of representing investors in all stages of venture capital financings.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Roeder was general counsel of a venture-backed web services infrastructure company based in San Francisco. After graduating from the University of Michigan, Mr. Roeder began his practice at a leading law firm in Palo Alto.
Mr. Roeder's representative transactions for life sciences clients include:
- Alios BioPharma – US$1.75 billion sale to Johnson & Johnson
- Relypsa – US$1.53 billion sale of Relyspa to Galenica Group
- CV Therapeutics – Negotiated the US$1.5 billion acquisition of CV Therapeutics by Gilead Sciences following the successful defense against a hostile bid by Astellas Pharma Inc.
- DVS Sciences – US$208 million sale of DVS Sciences to Fluidigm Corporation
- Envoy Therapeutics, Inc.– US$140 million sale of Envoy Therapeutics to Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- KYTHERA Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. – US$2.1 billion sale to Allergan PLC
- Pearl Therapeutics – US$1.15 billion sale to AstraZeneca
- AveXis, Inc. – US$432 million initial public offering, (UW representation)
- Menlo Therapeutics Inc. – US$120 million initial public offering, (UW representation)
Odonate Therapeutics, Inc. – US$160 million initial public offering, (UW representation)
- Aduro Biotech – US$136 million initial public offering (underwriter representation)
- Ardelyx – US$60 million initial public offering; US$110 million and US$77.8 million PIPE offerings; and US$86.25 million follow-on underwritten public offering
- Ascendis Pharma – US$124 million initial public offering of 6.9 million American Depository Shares and US$120 million underwritten public offering
- AveXis, Inc. – US$127.7 million underwritten public offering (underwriter representation)
- CytomX Therapeutics, Inc. – US$92 million initial public offering (UW representation) and US$142 million public offering (company representation)
- Geron Corporation – US$80 million public offering and US$100 million underwritten offering
- Intermune, Inc. – US$120 million follow-on convertible notes offering, US$98 million follow-on underwritten offering, US$79 million follow-on offering, and US$155 million convertible notes offering
- KYTHERA Biopharmaceuticals, Inc. – US$80 million initial public offering and US$133 million follow-on offering
- Mirna Therapeutics, Inc. – US$49 million initial public offering
- Novacea, Inc. – US$45 million initial public offering
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals, Inc. – US$87 million initial public offering
- Relypsa – US$78 million initial public offering; US$172 million and US$88 million follow-on offerings
- Renovis, Inc. – US$66 million initial public offering and US$50 million follow-on underwritten public offering
Mr. Roeder's representative transactions for technology clients include:
- Accuride, Inc. – US$99 million initial public offering
- Integrated Device Technology, Inc. – US$1.7 billion merger with Integrated Circuit Systems, Inc.
- Greenplum, Inc. – sale to EMC Corporation (terms not disclosed)
- Mellanox Technologies, Ltd. – US$117 million initial public offering
- Meritech Capital Partners – US$20 million venture financing in Riverbed Technology, Inc.
- Meritech Capital Partners – US$20 million venture financing in Sourcefire, Inc.
- Netli, Inc. – US$170 million sale of Netli, Inc. to Akamai Technologies, Inc.
His representative clients include:
- 5AM Ventures
- Alios BioPharma
- Ascendis Pharma A/S
- CytomX Therapeutics, Inc.
- Guava Technologies
- Ideaya Biosciences
- Integrated Device Technology
- KYTHERA Biopharmaceuticals
- Mellanox Technologies
- Menlo Therapeutics
- Meritech Capital Partners
- Mirna Therapeutics
- Modernizing Medicines
- OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
- Purigen Biosystems
- Revolution Medicines
- Second Genome