Julian Kleindorfer is Global Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins' REIT Industry Group. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance transactions, and general company representation, with a particular focus on the real estate, hospitality, gaming, and insurance industries.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Kleindorfer has handled matters ranging from multi-billion dollar public and private company acquisition transactions to going-private and other conflict of interest transactions. In the corporate finance area, Mr. Kleindorfer represents issuers and investment banks in public and private equity and debt offerings.
Mr. Kleindorfer serves as regular outside corporate counsel or designated underwriters’ counsel for a number of public companies, including American Assets Trust, Inc. (NYSE: AAT), Chatham Lodging Trust, Inc. (NYSE: CLDT), Digital Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: DLR), Douglas Emmett, Inc. (NYSE: DEI), Guidance Software, Inc. (Nasdaq: GUID), Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc. (NYSE: HPP), Kennedy-Wilson Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: KW), Kilroy Realty Corporation (NYSE: KRC), Mercury General Corporation (NYSE: MCY), Parkway Properties, Inc. (NYSE: PKY), Rexford Industrial Realty, Inc. (NYSE: REXR), and Spirit Realty Capital, Inc. (NYSE: SRC). In addition, Mr. Kleindorfer regularly advises boards and committees on a variety of corporate governance matters.
Mr. Kleindorfer has been recognized repeatedly by Chambers USA and in The Legal 500 US guides for his expertise in the area of real estate investment trusts and corporate finance, and by Best Lawyers in America in the securities law category. Mr. Kleindorfer is fluent in German and Japanese and serves on the Advisory Board of the Japan America Society of Southern California.
In the corporate finance area, Mr. Kleindorfer has represented numerous issuers and investment banks, including in many significant REIT IPO and first-time issuer transactions, such as those of:
- American Assets Trust, Inc.
- American Homes 4 Rent
- Chatham Lodging Trust, Inc.
- Colony Starwood Homes
- CyrusOne Inc.
- Digital Realty Trust, Inc.
- Douglas Emmett, Inc.
- Hudson Pacific Properties, Inc.
- InfraREIT, Inc.
- MGM Growth Properties LLC
- MPG Office Trust, Inc.
- National Storage Affiliates Trust
- Rexford Industrial Trust, Inc.
- Spirit Realty Capital, Inc.
Mr. Kleindorfer continues to be active on equity and debt offerings for the above and other companies and has advised on securities offerings raising in excess of US$50 billion in proceeds.
In the mergers and acquisitions area, Mr. Kleindorfer has in recent years represented:
- Digital Realty in its US$7.6 billion acquisition of Dupont Fabros Technology
- Phillips Edison in its US$1 billion sale of its real estate assets to Phillips Edison Grocery Center Operating Partnership
- Sentio Healthcare Properties in its US$825 million sale to Kayne Anderson Capital Advisors
- LifeStorage in its US$1.35 billion sale to Sovran Self Storage
- InvenTrust Properties Corp. in its spin-off of Highland REIT to its shareholders
- Digital Realty Trust in its US$1.89 billion acquisition of Telx
- Hudson Pacific in its acquisition of a US$3.7 billion portfolio from The Blackstone Group
- Griffin-American Healthcare REIT II (special committee) in its US$4 billion sale to NorthStar Realty Finance Corp.
- Nestlé USA in the sale of its PowerBar Business to Post Holdings, Inc.
- Münchener Rückversicherungs-Gesellschaft in its sale of Windsor Health Group, a managed healthcare service provider, to The WellCare Management Group
- InvenTrust Properties Corp. in the sale of its net lease portfolio to affiliates of AR Capital for US$1.9 billion
- J.P. Morgan in connection with the merger of MAA and Colonial Properties Trust with a transaction value of US$8.6 billion
- MPG Office Trust, Inc. in its merger with an affiliate of Brookfield, with a transaction value of US$2.3 billion
- Spirit Realty Capital, Inc. in its US$7.4 billion merger with Cole Credit Property Trust II
- Realty Income Corporation in its US$2.9 billion acquisition of American Realty Capital Trust
- Confie Seguros in its sale to an ABRY partners fund
- Recruit Co. Ltd. in its acquisition of Advantage Resourcing US and Europe for US$410 million
- Recruit Co. Ltd. in its acquisition of Staffmark Holdings, Inc. for US$295 million
- Kennedy Wilson, Inc. in its US$1.8 billion acquisition of a real estate loan pool from the Bank of Ireland
- The special committee of CNA Surety Corporation in connection with the purchase by CNA Financial Corporation of the minority interest in CNA Surety for US$475 million
- American Assets Trust, Inc. in its roll-up acquisition of more than US$1.7 billion in real estate assets
- Health Net, Inc. in the sale of its Northeast business to Oxford Health Plans, LLC for more than US$600 million
- Nestlé USA in its purchase of Kraft’s North American pizza business for US$3.7 billion
- Adecco SA in the acquisition of MPS Group, Inc. for US$1.3 billion
- Pathmark Stores, Inc. in its sale to The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. for US$1.3 billion