José María Jiménez Laiglesia, a partner in the Antitrust & Competition Practice with nearly three decades of experience, is widely recognized as one of Spain’s leading competition lawyers.
Mr. Jiménez Laiglesia regularly represents Spanish and international companies, financial institutions, and private equity firms before Spanish and EU competition authorities as well as other regulatory bodies. He advises clients on mergers, cartel investigations, and charges of abuse of a dominant position and state aid.
Mr. Jiménez Laiglesia, ranked Band 1 by Chambers Europe, is recognized for successful interventions in matters involving jurisdictional review of competition and regulatory decisions before Spain’s National Court (Audiencia Nacional) and Supreme Court.
A sampling of Mr. Jiménez Laiglesia’s experience includes representing:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Atlantia S.p.A. on the European Union and multi-jurisdictional merger control approval of its €16.5 billion acquisition of Abertis Infraestructuras, S.A.
- Vodafone Group Plc on the European Union merger control approval of its €7.2 billion acquisition of Ono S.A., a Spain-based provider of fixed and mobile telecommunications services
- CVC Capital Partners on:
- The Spanish merger clearance of its acquisition and disposal of Spanish regional cable companies
- The European Union approval of its €1.2 billion acquisition of Deoleo
- Repsol on the multi-jurisdictional merger approval of the full-function joint venture between Repsol Química and Grupo Kuo for the production of synthetic rubber
- Repsol and BP Oil in the merger approval of their full-function joint venture in the aviation fuel services market in Spanish airports
- Abengoa in its €1.1 billion sale of Befesa to Triton
- Telco operators in merger control procedures involving electronic communication services and Pay TV in Spain
Antitrust & Competition
- Repsol in matters before Spain’s National Commission of Markets and Competition (CNMC) and the European Commission concerning oil and petrochemical products
- Renault before the CNMC in relation to an investigation concerning the exchange of information in the automotive distribution market in Spain
- Logista before the CNMC in relation to an investigation involving an exchange of information in the cigarette manufacturing and distribution market in Spain
- FENIN in a CNMC investigation in the adult diaper market
- Mastercard in competition matters before the CNMC and regulatory issues concerning payment services in Spain
- Urbaser in the CNMC investigation concerning the waste treatment market in Spain
- Telco operators in CNMC investigations concerning the electronic communication market in Spain and antitrust issues related to the acquisition and exploitation of premium broadcasting rights
- Lafarge in matters before the CNMC concerning the cement and ready-mix concrete markets in Spain
- Pharmaceutical companies concerning their pricing practices in the Spanish market