Jason Daniels advises market-leading companies on antitrust and competition issues in litigation, government investigations, and business counseling. He also regularly advises clients and litigates matters related to consumer protection, the intersection of antitrust and intellectual property, as well as contract terms and disputes.
Mr. Daniels helps clients navigate complex business transactions, disputes, and government investigations, with a particular emphasis on the technology, healthcare, and life sciences industries.
He regularly advises market-leading clients on complicated M&A transactions in relation to antitrust issues, often on matters likely to trigger heightened regulatory scrutiny.
He draws on a keen analytical ability to assess risk, negotiate antitrust covenants, secure regulatory clearance, and, if necessary, take a matter through trial.
Mr. Daniels is active in the ABA Antitrust Section and has served as Vice Chair for multiple committees. He also serves on the board of Equality California.
Merger Clearance / Government Investigations
Mr. Daniels' representative merger clearance matters includes counseling:
- A leading healthcare company on a complex multi-region transaction with intense regulatory interest
- Globe Specialty Metals, a global silicon metal and specialty alloys producer before the Department of Justice in connection with the company’s merger with a European competitor FerroAtlantica
- A leading global provider of IP lifecycle solutions on multiple cross-border acquisitions and assessments
- Premiere green cleaners company People Against Dirty, on its successful merger with S.C. Johnson
- A leading insurance brokerage on multiple acquisitions and assessment of multiple major considered transactions
- A petroleum company in connection with a regulatory investigation of other parties
- Live Nation in its US$2.5 billion merger with Ticketmaster Entertainment
- Multiple pharmaceutical clients in connection with complex licensing arrangements and acquisitions
- A leading portfolio company related to multiple acquisitions and sales
- A generic pharmaceutical company in connection with a DOJ investigation of settlement of branded drug litigation
- An online gaming executive in an FTC inquiry regarding privacy issues
Litigation / Trials
Mr. Daniels' representative litigation experience includes counseling:
- Cox Communications in In re Cox Enterprises Inc. Set-Top Cable Television Box Antitrust Litigation, a rare antitrust trial with a certified class related to the lease of set-top cable boxes. Following trial, a federal judge granted Cox’s post-verdict Rule 50 motion and entered a defense judgment in favor of Cox
- A global window and door manufacturer in private litigation stemming from the company’s acquisition of a competitor
- Orbitz Worldwide in litigation alleging an unlawful exclusive dealing contract and other antitrust violations, and in separate multidistrict litigation brought by a putative consumer class alleging improper resale price maintenance agreements
- Oracle in high-profile trials with Hewlett-Packard, in which HP alleges that Oracle's actions in halting software development for the Intel Itanium microprocessor violated contract and unfair competition laws
- Apple Inc. in a series of individual cases and a putative class action brought by resellers who alleged that Apple violated California's antitrust and unfair competition laws, and in nationwide antitrust class actions relating to the alleged monopolization of iPhone aftermarkets
- Eaton Electrical Corporation in the successful defense of a monopolization action, in which independent service organizations sought the right to use Eaton’s service software
- Leading multinational design and financial services firms concerning antitrust compliance and potential litigation