Jamie Wine is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Recognized as a leading litigator and trial attorney, Ms. Wine’s practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, securities and class action litigation, and SEC and other regulatory investigations. More broadly, Ms. Wine has tried and arbitrated a wide variety of business, patent, and environmental cases.
Ms. Wine has represented many issuers, each of the Big Four accounting firms, and a number of financial institutions in a variety of trial and litigation matters. For several years after the financial crisis, she represented Ernst & Young in all civil and regulatory matters related to Lehman Brothers, and she represented Deutsche Bank in actions throughout the United States regarding its residential mortgage backed securities (RMBS) business. Over the last four years alone, Ms. Wine has tried or arbitrated a billion dollar commercial dispute for a public technology company, a malpractice case for an accounting firm, a patent case for a major pharmaceutical company, a securities action for a public consulting firm, and an environmental case for the State of Florida in a highly-publicized United State Supreme Court original jurisdiction action.
Ms. Wine is widely acknowledged for her excellence. She is recognized in Chambers USA as a leading securities litigator, and The American Lawyer named her one of the 45 Under 45 top female lawyers in AmLaw 200 (2011). She has also been included in several editions of Lawdragon 500's Leading Lawyers in America, which noted that she “has emerged as one of the top practitioners in complex business and securities litigation.” Ms. Wine has also been recognized as a leading securities litigator by The Legal 500 US, a Legal Superstar by SecuritiesLaw360, and one of California's Top Women Litigators by The Daily Journal. In 2015, the National Organization for Women honored Ms. Wine with its Women of Power & Influence award, and in 2017, Crain’s New York Business named Ms. Wine to its inaugural list of Leading Women Lawyers in New York City. In 2019, she was inducted as a Fellow in Litigation Counsel of America.
Ms. Wine is a former Global Chair of Latham’s Litigation & Trial Department and a former member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She previously was the Deputy Office Managing Partner of the New York office and co-chaired the firm's Securities Litigation & Professional Liability Practice. She also is a former member of Latham’s Associates Committee and Training and Career Enhancement Committee.
Ms. Wine's experience includes:
- Acting as lead trial counsel for a Fortune 500 technology company in a post-merger billion dollar arbitration; decision pending
- Acting as lead trial counsel representing the State of Florida in a US Supreme Court original action against the State of Georgia; secured Supreme Court ruling in Florida’s favor, instructing Special Master to quantify the amount of water to which Florida is entitled
- Won complete victory as lead trial counsel in an arbitration for one of the Big Four accounting firms brought by the Trustee of its former audit Client
- Won complete dismissal, on a motion to dismiss, for Booz Allen in a securities class action pending in the Southern District of New York (SDNY) alleging that the firm made false and misleading statements relating to the terms and circumstances of the sale of its government business to The Carlyle Group; also acted as lead trial counsel in a related individual suit in the SDNY alleging securities fraud related to the sale, which reached favorable settlement during trial
- Won complete dismissal, on a motion to dismiss and affirmed on appeal, for Ferrellgas, Inc. in a securities class action pending in the SDNY alleging that the company misled investors about the success of a recent acquisition and the effect of declining crude oil prices on its oil logistics business
- Won complete dismissal, on a motion to dismiss, for Aratana Therapeutics, Inc. in a securities class action in the SDNY relating to the timing and release of a new FDA-approved drug
- Won complete dismissal, on a motion to dismiss, for Pacira Pharmaceuticals, Inc. in a securities class action in the District of New Jersey relating to statements about product safety and efficacy
- Acted as lead trial counsel in a patent case for Mallinckrodt Pharmaceutical in a case in District of Delaware; reached favorable settlement
- Reached favorable settlement for HCA, Inc. in a securities class action in District of Tennessee alleging omission of purported revenue trends in offering materials for IPO
- Won complete victory for Ernst & Young as lead trial counsel in an arbitration brought by the Lehman Creditors Committee, and won dismissal of all Section 11 and most Section 10b claims in the Lehman-related multi-district shareholder litigation in SDNY
- Represented Deutsche Bank in numerous federal and state actions across the US related to RMBS
- Acted as lead trial counsel in successful arbitration of a multi-million dollar confidential tax shelter matter for one of the Big Four accounting firms
- Won complete trial victory, confirmed on appeal, for a KPMG audit partner in an SEC proceeding alleging improper professional conduct related to Royal Ahold
- Won complete dismissal, on summary judgment and affirmed on appeal, for Caesars Bahamas Investment Corp. (Harrah’s) in a dispute regarding the multi-billion dollar Baha Mar casino resort project
- Won complete dismissal on summary judgment in one class action and reached favorable settlement in the other for Ernst & Young relating to its audits of The Williams Companies
- Won complete dismissal, on summary judgment and affirmed on appeal, for PricewaterhouseCoopers in a securities class action relating to its audits of Chantal Pharmaceuticals