John J. “Jack” Barber is counsel in the Chicago office of Latham & Watkins and a member of the Litigation & Trial Department. Mr. Barber represents accounting firms, institutional clients, and individuals in a variety of securities and professional liability matters and investigations. Mr. Barber’s practice and experience encompass:
- Professional liability
- Securities matters
- Policyholder insurance counseling and recovery
- Complex commercial litigation
- Tax controversy
- Shareholder matters
- Internal investigations
- Governmental investigations
- Appellate proceedings
Mr. Barber’s clients include leading global accounting and audit firms, individuals, and corporations. He has particular experience with Section 10A matters and oversight, internal investigations, board and committee investigations, state board of accountancy matters, and tax litigation with a focus on state and local tax issues.
Mr. Barber has served as lead counsel handling regulatory investigations, civil litigation, arbitrations, and mediations. Mr. Barber has represented clients in criminal and civil investigations brought by the SEC, DOJ, PCAOB, IRS, Department of Labor, and other regulators.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Barber served as an assistant general counsel at a national accounting firm, where he managed the firm’s litigation and regulatory matters. Prior to that, he was a partner at a Chicago-based litigation boutique for nearly 10 years.
Mr. Barber is a registered Certified Public Accountant in Illinois.
Mr. Barber’s experience includes handling:
- SEC enforcement investigations of accounting firms and individual accountants*
- PCAOB enforcement investigations of accounting firms*
- State accounting ethics investigations and inquiries involving accounting firms and individual accountants*
- IRS civil and criminal investigations of prepares*
- A bench trial regarding state sales and use tax nexus on internet sales*
- Representation of a policyholder in the settlement of a commercial contract case at trial in state court and settlement of a related insurance coverage case in federal court*
*Matter handled prior to joining Latham